Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 V Max 500 sx, and I noticed at very low speed under a load(not on a stand) the track seems to be jumping. First I checked my track tension, thast was fine, next I replaced my whole drive shaft w/ new cogs and new bearings and it is still having the same issue. When I had everything taken appart the chaincase appeared clean with no shavings and the gears looked solid. Can someone please help?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Take a look at all your wheels and bearings in the suspension and make sure the bearings are smooth and wheels are round with no flat spots.

·
Registered
58 Posts
ok i just had the same problem sounds like the wheels are jumping the track if im right i thought its was them checked all good got it apart why not change bearings check put back together same problem then i realized when i was putting the skid in that it was piece of cake thats when i realized clips were only on have the track on the one side and the reast on the other be sure to check all clips are there no more then like 4 5 inches apart on older tracks and you will notice were they would beon newer tracks

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
in addition to the track tension, is it aligned as well? could be running off to one side. check for equal distance from the rails/sliders to the inner track lugs.

your chain tension is too tight! finger tight the long adjuster bolt, the jamb nut is set at 17ft lbs. take a closer look at the manual, you will see what i mean.

depending on what book your using, the track alignment procedure will be covered as well. seriously, doublecheck your chain tensioning procedure.

last thing to do is put on a known good belt or new belt and see if the issue doesnt go away.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but, how would a belt affect the track jumping? I'm just asking because this souds a lot like the problem I am having.

·
Registered
12 Posts
it wouldnt but maby your mistaken just check it anyways to make sure your clutch is working or there isnt a chunk of belt making it seam like the track is jumping atleast you will know for sure all is well in that area after ya check it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Problem solved

This may be a dumb question, but, how would a belt affect the track jumping? I'm just asking because this souds a lot like the problem I am having.
I feel like an idiot but it was my belt. And my spare belt that was on the sled when I bought it was said to be new did the same thing so that's why I did all the other work. I went up to shade tree bought and put on a new belt and the problem has been solved. Although I did do alot of good maintenece on the machine.

As to why a belt can cause the problem: if smoke or burn up your belt even just a little you create a area of the belt that is thinner or more narrow(hard to see with the naked eye) and it will cause your cluthdraw in a little then it hits the wider normal part and it "jumps".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WOW, I'll have to try that, too. Thanks for the update!
You can check it before you buy a new belt. Get the rear on a stand. Set your parking break, or hold the break if you don't have a parking break. Rev your engine with the clutch/belt cover open. Watch your primary clutch if while reving the engine if you see the clutch kind of jerking a little (speed wise)
get yourself a new belt. Make sure you break your belt properly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Usually there are instructions on the inside of the jacket that comes around the belt. But if not I usually go about 10-15 miles not over half throttle and not over 50mph. I try to find a winding trail so you engage/disengage the clutch alot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts