Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
I have a 1980 Kawasaki Drifter 440. I just picked it up this winter. Recently I have noticed that when I am driving it across roads or hard surfaces a loud
(sort of like a grinding) noise is coming from the rear of the track. Does anyone know of what might be causing it? When its driving in the snow there is no noise. Thanks for input in advance!

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Idler Bearings? Could just be the metal cleats on the pavement...

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,841 Posts
Mine has a vibration. If it has a vibration sound like a vvvvVVVVVV, it is normal. It is your idler wheels bending the track down in between the lugs on hard surfaces.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, so I took it out this weekend and the noise seems to be getting worse. It sound like its coming from the right rear (when sitting on the sled) of the track only. However the noise seems to disappear the faster I go. Still the idler bearing? what do you guys think?

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,841 Posts
The idler wheels are bending the track down between the lugs. as you go faster the idlers don't stay in the gap between the lugs long enough to make the noise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.