Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I bought a used 2015 Polaris Voyaguer 600 that will be primarily be used for ice fishing with the rare trail ride.

The sled currently has the 2in paddle track that came stock on sled. It is terrible for ice fishing as can be expected. Looking to swap out track for something more suitable for ice.

My options with thoughts:

1) ripsaw 1.25 with studs (2 or 3 per space) -
2) Ice Attak XT (concern that it will not be enough and adding studs to this single ply track was not recommended by manufacture
3) Ice Cobra at 1.6 which is a 2ply track. possible add regular studs in necessary

Wondering if anyone could provide the thoughts and opinion on which they think would be best route?

Second question i have is that whenever i look up parts for tunnel protectors for polaris voyaguer, there are no options available. i can find parts and recommendations for tunnel protectors/studs for all other sleds but never for the Voyaguer which i believe is similar to RMK. Also cant find any threads on others who were looking to do the same with same machine.

Has anyone else switched out the track on voyaguer that can provide some insight? thanks for feedback.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Ice Attack comes with 240 built in studs you won't need extra. Or you can buy a regular 1.25 track and put in 96 studs but either way make sure you get 6-8" carbides for the skis. I don't run a tunnel protector on either my Polaris snowmobiles both have .91" tracks with 1" studs which is the max for mine and no issues. Just have to watch it. I would do either of the two I recommended if you are just ice fishing and both would be good for trail riding as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the feedback.

I have heard mixed reviews on pre studded tracks from other ice fishermen. Some love them, others say they are not as good as studs and switched back because it struggled going out 8-12 miles on ice.

i called the local dealer and they are pricing out different track options and checking availability. sounds like supplies are already drying up.

I would like the option to go traditional studs at some point if necessary so i also asked about tunnel protectors. they said that they were not available for this sled which surprised me. I assumed they could find generic one and put them on. When asked why there were no option for this sled and if they could modify something to make work, they said they didn't know the reason as well as declined to do the service.

This has got me intrigued as to why putting tunnel protectors on a voyageur is not an options and why they said modifying would not work.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Don't have tunnel protectors on either of my snowmobiles and the one that did from factory I removed them and still no issues with studs. Just have to have the right length is all. IF you are that concerned then 1' track with 1.1" studs will do find but make sure you put carbides on it as well at least 6" set but 8" would be better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. Did some checking, and based on availability/price, i pulled the trigger on ripsaw 1.25 track. Plan is to run 114 1325 gold diggers (two per row) with no tunnel protectors. I am going from a 2 in track so hoping i have enough clearance. still trying to get comfortable with the idea.

Also i leaning towards 6 in carbides?

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I run 8" carbides with 96 studs in mine. More carbide is always better imho helps with turning and what not. I would also look at a 120 pattern that will also have some on the outside which helps as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts