Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been troubleshooting my sled for the past month to no success. It starts up 2nd or 3rd pull every time, idles perfect and seems to have good power when cold. As soon as it warms up it starts bogging and keeps getting worse until there is not enough power to move the track.
The ecu is giving me the TPS code, I have checked the resistance, getting 11.5 Kilo ohms to 12.5Kilo ohms, as I adjust the throttle.
I'm running out of ideas now, almost ready to bring it into a dealership, but would rather not spend the money
Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Test the TPS using a digital voltmeter.

With the black lead of the meter on batt neg or a good ground test the three wires att the sensor one at a time for voltage. Leave the TPS plugged in and turn the kill sw and the ign sw to the run position but don't start the engine.

Carefully slide a straightened paperclip into the back of the connector one wire at a time to get your voltage readings without damaging the terminals.

The red wire should read at or very near to 5.0v which is supplied by the ECU.

The white wire (middle) should read (near) 0.659v and then rise evenly and steadily with no skips or irregularities to about 4.5 v as you slowly (very slowly) open the throttle.

The black wire should read 0.0v which would indicate that it is properly grounded.

My guess is you will find the middle wire readings will not be any good which will mean you need a TPS sensor

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The red and black wires are okay, but when I go to the white wire, its at around .5V with no throttle and slowly goes up to 2.1V at full throttle. I assume since the full throttle position is so low it must be screwed, agreed?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
tps problem

i have 1995 rxl and had a few issues with mine but no code showed up just loosened two screw a little and turned it a tad till i had good idle and full speed but never tested it it should have around 4 at full throttle just like they said but love sled only problem i had good luck

·
Registered
608 Posts
The red and black wires are okay, but when I go to the white wire, its at around .5V with no throttle and slowly goes up to 2.1V at full throttle. I assume since the full throttle position is so low it must be screwed, agreed?

yep if you are only getting 2.1 v at WOT it's no good

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
tps problem

i just saw this the other day on yuotube but it was on a newer one some machanic it was good info to know:dunno:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, I found a used TPS for reletivly cheap. Switched it out and it works perfect! I've put a couple tanks of gas through the sled already. Thank you to all for the hepl!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts