Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Administrator
19,927 Posts
What engine does the Tahoe have? It should do fine towing a smaller trailer regardless of engine, but the 4-place enclosed trailers are heavy and create a lot of drag. Most people that have one of those will be towing with a diesel, or if it's a gas engine, the biggest available. I know the Chevy Suburban with the 8.1 liter engine will tow, but the gas mileage really sucks when you do.

I would also look at the manufacturer's recommendation for towing weights. Some transmissions don't do well pulling a bigger load.

Plan on replacing or extending the mirrors, as well. The mirrors will need to be out farther to be able to see behind if the enclosed is a normal width snowmobile trailer.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you there I should've been more clear. I'm interested in a Chevy Tahoe Looking at it now I'm going to stick with a 2 place enclosed v neck trailer. The 4 place would require me to get a bigger truck and the area I'm looking to visit at would be difficult to park a 4 place trailer. The 2 place trailer would be more ideal. Plus I could always have friend meet up with me with there trucks and trailers.

· Registered
3,819 Posts
My 5.3 burban had no problem pulling the 4 place enclosed about 700 MI round trip. Just gotta take it easy on her. I just upgraded to a 6.0 for pulling the boat but miss the fuel mileage already

· Registered
477 Posts
It will definitely do fine even towing a 4 place. If you don't mind investing a little bit of $ you should look into a programmer. Mainly cause the half ton GM transmissions (4L60E) are know for their "lazy shifting"

· Registered
352 Posts
You don't need anything big like a diesel just to pull a 4 place sled trailer. We pull a 5000+ pound bobcat around no problem with a 5.7 Hemi, and you can barely feel that it is back there. A 4 place trailer should be nowhere near that weight. I think the Tahoe would do just fine.

· Registered
2,164 Posts
Dan has the right idea... Look up the towing information regarding the specific vehicle you are looking at. Be sure to take into considering the motor AND the rear end gearing.

A 2-place trailer, with sleds, will likely peak out at under 3000 lbs. A 4-place, with sleds, it likely to be closer to 5000-6000 depending on the starting weight of the trailer itself (you can generally use about 550lbs per sled as a working number to estimate weight).

Be mindful that you have to understand also that towing four sleds will mean you're also carrying two more adults in the vehicle AND all of their associated gear. This all has to be taken into account when figuring out GVWR, GTWR, and GCWR of your rig.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.