Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mopar crazy
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boss and I were talking the other day and we wondered if it would be smarter for us to buy a rollback tow truck for our shop. We thought it might be better than always having to hire other companies to have broke down/stranded/repo vehicles towed in. Usually we either have to drag the broke down/stranded rigs back with a tow rope or find a truck big enough to pull our mammoth trailer. He and I are usually the ones doing the towing so we trust each other when we're pulling a vehicle with a tow rope. We also thought that we could do normal stranded vehicle calls to help out our company. Most of our tows are broken down/ non running vehicles. I'm curious if anyone knows what it takes to become a tow truck driver. Obviously you would have to be able to recover a vehicle which is something that I'm more than capable of doing. I'm wondering if there are any special licenses you would need for what we would do. I've tried doing research but nothing I've found really gives me an answer. I've seen yes you need a CDL, no you don't just a B license, some say an F license. Also how big of a truck would be right for us. The biggest vehicles we normally tow are 3/4 ton and 1 ton diesel pickups. We're trying to figure out what all we would need to do before we dive into something like that. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
The laws can vary from state to state. Check with the Department of Motor Vehicles, or whatever they call themselves where you are.

Sent from my MB865 using Snowmobile.com App

·
TRH- Troll Raising Hell
6,133 Posts
I don't think he will want to get into that! He also may want to stop pulling peoples vehicles with rope. Soooo many things could go wrong and he would be on the hook for ruining profits for a while.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts