Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rebuilding the topend of alittle ski doo 380, the one thing I'm not sure of is what kind of reassembly oil should I use?, how much should I use?, where should I use it?, do I put any in the crank?, stuff like that. if anyone has some info, or even just little tips about reassembling a topend, it would be great, I'd really appreciate it, thanks.:dunno:

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
I'm no engine builder, so take this with a grain of salt.

From what I've heard, the more oil the better. You want oil on every moving thing in there. I'm thinking regular mineral two stroke oil. Theres no such thing as too much oil in this situation.

·
Registered
25,385 Posts
Use your normal 2 stroke oil and lub up the the rings! Nothing on the crank! Be sure to sand down the edges of the ports after you run a hone up and down it a few times.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did sand the ports thankyou, one thing I was really wondering, was about the oil in the crank? should I drain it and leave the crank dri (for the most part), when I put the heads on? I think thats what your saying rite? plenty of oil on rings! an nothing on the crank!? (accept residual cant hurt right?) thank you for the info.

·
Repair Shop Owner
528 Posts
Yep 2 stroke oil on the crank and wrist pin bearings and on the ring before you install the cyclinder's. I also coat the cyclinders before installing. If you have the oil pump off you will need to prime it before starting the engine so It wont starve for oil. Mix the first tank of fuel 50-1 just to be safe. It may foul some plugs but cheaper than haveing to rebuild again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so I got the cylinders on last night, and it sounds like I did everything proper, good, good point about priming the oil pump!!, I guarantee I wouldn't have thought of that, so thanks everyone, should have it done today, so we'll see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts