Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1980 Yamaha SS 440 for $75 that I am going to fix up. I am just curious what is the top speed for this snowmobile in stock configuration?

·
Registered
477 Posts
70 mph sounds about right. I rode an 83 ss and the speedo said 80 or 85 which is about 70 in reallity. They run pretty good for a single carb fan cooled engine.

·
Registered
477 Posts
They only rated the ss 440 at about 50 horsepower. They have a single carb and have small ports, but they run forever. He may get 75 out of it. Im also 220 lbs. --Speedo example--My arctic cat said 115 mph but my gps said 105 mph.

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,819 Posts
I had consistent readings, on a few sleds. Also I weight 150 LBS. and The led weights 350LBS. Same motor though. Also, mine has reeds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my 1980 ss440 ran strong until i ran lean on the clutch side and burned a dime size hole in the piston... time to rebuild... GREAT SLEDS! taking my 1980 exciter and 1980 ss440 to the 30 mile endurance race on march 12, hope to see u all there!

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,819 Posts
Well, look who's in the same boat. I over heated mine. Ran at 80 MPH for 4 MI, then stopped for a road. Then I gunned it again. Didn't have the same power. Melted. Don't know how bad, pulling the head tonight.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The yamaha's seem to be known for that we have a 85 excell III that did the same thing burned a hole in the pto piston to. Just got my ss 440 free and rotating but its only runnin about 35 psi on pto piston. So Im gonna rebuild it when I get some cash.

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,819 Posts
Well it's not bad, just some flash. It did have blow-by and similar problems, so it was time for a rebuild anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts