Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding the top end of a newly aquired 98 Indy 500 Classic. I am having some difficulties finding parts, specifically the rod bearings and gasket kits for the top end. Checked Dennis Kirk and they seem to be out of almost everything.

Any suggestions other than Ebay?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Yes MFG Supply is a good place. Need to find out exactly why it blew up before going into rebuilding it. Also get a full kit if you are going to be doing rod bearings and what not. I would call US Chrome in WI or Indy Specialty in Minnesota. Both will take your pistons or their pistons, hone out the cylinders and match them and the rings up perfectly for a great fit. Worth the money imho.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My father-in-law tore the top end apart and found the burned up pistons. The cylinders look good, we are going to polish them up a little bit and rebuild. I had already purchased a gasket kit and piston kit separate from each other when I saw this post. I will keep MFG Supply in mind moving forward. Thank you for this advice.

The sled was running well, started great cold, but then had an issue with stalling out and not restarted once is was warmed up. I did some research and our theory is that the carbs were gunked up and the cylinders weren't getting the fuel (and oil) they needed and we burned up the pistons. We have cleaned the carbs and are waiting for the top-end parts to come in. For now we are going to reuse the old rod bearings, they seem to be OK for now.

Once we get it running again I am going to be using 89 octane, ethanol-free fuel moving forward and keep an eye on the carbs and oil injection. I am also open to any suggestions. Hopefully our rebuild project will get it running again and I can enjoy it the rest of this winter.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Check the seals, check the carburetor boots, make sure the oil pump is working, I would replace the fuel pump if it was me as well since it is most likely the original one. Idk where you live to get 89 ethanol-free but the only stuff we get around here is 92 or 93 like that. Cleaning carburetors should be done every preseason regardless if you use ethanol-free or stuff with ethanol. Of course the stuff with ethanol clogs up a lot more but either way it needs to be done in order to prevent issues. Also I would replace all the fuel lines with Tygon 1/4" and then some stainless steel clamps, make sure the gas line inside the gas tank is there along with the weighted fuel filter if not or looks iffy replace also with Tygon. Only stuff you can use inside the gas tank is Tygon. I just prefer it now in the engine bay over the other stuff or the standard fuel pressure line so I know what is going in. I also switched the fuel filter behind the air box to a 1/4" Clear Walbro or Old Arctic Cat style as well so I can see the fuel going in. Also make sure you clean the airbox every preseason as well as every year usually a mouse or mice will make a nest in there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for this advice, I will apply this knowledge in the future. I am in eastern PA, the Wawa here sells 89 ethanol-free. Finding any other ethanol-free at a higher octane is becoming increasingly difficult.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the sled running last night. Carbs are nice and clean, the needle jets were both clogged solid, but starting right and and running smooth!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts