Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents, don't know if you remember but I replaced top end on my 86 Phazer last spring. No issues with installation, and ran several times during the summer. It sat at least three months without touching. Just got it out the other day and seems to bog, then clear can rev up, then bogs, then clears. Idles with no problem. When I finished the rebuild last spring I added Oil to the tank of gas. Was told should run a tank of mix as to help seat rings and to further avoid burning new pistons. I was just wondering if the fact that there is oil being injected plus there is oil in the fuel, kinda a double whammy. Should I just continue to prop sled up and run sled/fuel until tank empty and refuel (gas only) and clean carbs. I knew going into this season I'd have to baby "her", no rippin around. I pulled plugs before comin in tonight and plugs, oily and wet. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
did you calculate the oil ratio when you added oil to the fuel tank? or just randomly dump oil in there? what i would do is drain the tank as best you can. then fill it with fresh fuel(no oil). replace the plugs with new. fire the engine and pull the oil cable and hold it wide open (oil cable)while keeping the throttle at about mid throttle until you feel heat from the exhaust outlet. let the sled cool and repeat twice. then after the third cooling cycle, start and ride like normal with no overly long extended wide open pulls. then see what the sleds doing.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just dumped,but not crazy amount, didnt calculate. Would you say I've run enough oil/fuel mix thru it? I was thinking samething, as far as draining tank and putting fresh gas in. But didn't know if I should finish off current or just go ahead and drain now.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drained tank, there was only about 1 1/2 to 2 gal. it was very green. Put fresh in and ran great. Seems as though next time only a light amount of oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts