Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Polaris Indy 500 XC SP smokes like a [email protected]#. I am under the impression that the only problem is that it is getting a little too much oil because it runs perfect- not rich or lean, no power loss, no noise. Is there an adjustment that controls the amount of oil injection? Where is it and how can I adjust it?

·
Registered
482 Posts
If the plugs brown, dont mess with the oil injection.
change your oil to a differant brand.
try KLOTZ, its pretty much smokeless.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
i run klotz, always have, its the best, and has a beautiful sweet smell to it. if the thing is running perfect and just smoking a lot it might not be the oil, probably the gas in it, how old is the gas?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This happend the last half of all last season. Brand new gas, old gas whatever, so much smoke, it's not normal, I am sure of that. I have changed to other oils with no change. I now only run Castrol because it's good and cheap.

So nobody knows if there is an adjustment for the amount of oil that is injected? Is it done by a jet? I'd buy a manual for it if they made one! Help! The dealer can't see me until mid January and Pittsburg trails open up on the 14th of Dec.!!!!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Pittsburg? you from around NH?

Just check the arm on your injection unit, see if the sync between the throttle and the oil injection are the same.
most sleds have a scrib mark on the shaft and arm.

you never did answer, what color are the plugs?
you do any mods to the sled?
pipe, carb work, jets or airbox.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'm a Granite State boy! I live in Weare, about 17 miles west of Manchester. We go to Pittsburg about 4 times a year.

Plugs may be a little dark, but don't foul or anything. Overall I'd say they are burning well.

As far as mods, I've only installed a boost bottle, but that was just recently and the smoke started middle of last season. I want to check the oil pump for the scribe, but on my sled it is impossible to see without pulling the stupid carbs. What a hassle- I was hoping to see if anyone knows of another way to adjust the amount of oil injection. I'm positive that is the problem, but lots of smoke is better than no smoke at all I guess! I could probably ride all winter with out a mechanical problem, but since everyone is always behind me, I smoke them out! :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a 2001 Indy Edge 500 XC SP. The SP stands for "smokey piece".

·
Registered
64 Posts
haha. the only way is to adjust the cable that moves the arm. there are two nuts that are used to adjust it. pull the airbox out, and pull the carbs off ans set them aside. then look at the little lever, ans see where it is lined up. just loosen or tighten the nuts to adjust it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts