Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a 1985 polaris 400 indy trail right now but also have a 1985 indy 600Se mod siting around that I wanted to get going. Tuned pipes, port polish, bored, heads shaved down, you get the point...Anyway I would like to know how loud snowmobiles are allowed to be. i recently took some safety course thing that told me but I wasn't paying attention and i forgot. The 600 has a crackle but is not super loud.

·
Super Duper Member
768 Posts
If you ride in VT The lae is below:

Your snowmobiles must be equipped with: headlight; red rear light; windshield free from jagged or sharp edges; a fully functional brake in good condition; efficient muffler and such other equipment and devices as may be required to meet the noise level specifications of not more than 73 decibels on the A scale at 50 feet in a normal operating environment.

Colored lens covers on headlights are illegal. Windshields are mandatory or the operator must wear eye glasses, goggles or a protective face shield.

Helmets are mandatory for all riders on the VAST trail system.

It is against Vermont law to sell a replacement exhaust system that exceeds the manufacturer's original equipment specifications. Violation of this law will result in a fine of $300 for the snowmobile operator and a $300 fine for the person selling the illegal exhaust system. No by-pass of a muffler system is allowed.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I don't think the snowmobile Is loud enough to bother anyone but the fact that it has tuned pipes is enough to be illegal in NY. Thanks for your help.

(not that I care, as long as i don't get stoped...)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts