Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a lot of people are telling me that i am crazy for not studding my F7. I have never studded my snowmobiles an was wondering if they will make it safer? people tell me that studs will not only help for ice (which is obvious) but also make the snowmobile handle and stop better on ungroomed slick trails, is this true? if yes how many studs would you go with is 144 not enough or too many? my previous sled was a 02 600zl and i never had a problem handling it, what do you guys think?:confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yea, i think studs are a good idea. I have a 98 zr600 with 144 woodys studs. I dont think i would ever ride a sled without them again. Stopping on ice is not a problem and the handling just got better.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I have studs on all 4 of my sleds, and im never going back to without them, you know the signs that say "Caution Ice Ahead" with studs you dont even have to look at that, and i just think they control much better

·
Registered
205 Posts
if i were you, i would deffinately stud. the f-cats have 51 bars in the track instead of the 48 on a regular track, so it's gonna be 153 studs instead of 144. that's a pretty good amount, any more than that is overkill.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i would because pullin skis up is a lot cooler than not doing it on lakes or where you couldn't normally do it

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you have an abundance of snow in your area and do alot of lake riding, you should stud the track. If not, and if you got deep enough lugs, you probably shouldn't because your gonna find out that you only really needem on the lake. They also add weight.

·
Registered
64 Posts
from what ive experienced, studs make the handling worse. just about the only use i have for studs is to put them on an elan, so pulling an ice shanty is easier, and my drag quad. one of the biggest problems i see on the trail, is too many new riders buying a big engined sled, and studding it up alot. this ruins any chance of them developing a good riding style. this is the cause of the hammer down athen come to a complete stop in the corner, and hammer down out of it. wheelies are retarded too. wheelieing means no steering, and not steering means a slow ride. also with todays tall lugged tracks, studs are far too heavy. a 1.375" stud weighs twice what a 3/4, or 7/8's stud wieghs. with all that weight in the track, it pulls on the idler wheel bearings a ton more. you also should tighten your track up more with studs, as to keep the track from "flapping" hitting the tunnel, and coolers, and the track will pull away from the slides, causing big time uneaven slider wear. another problem is that people overstud all the time. a common belief is that studs make your sled faster. not true, the acceleration on ice is faster, for sure, but only to a certain extent. all af the studs weight is rotational mass. people buy lightweight drive shafts, for hundreds of dollars to save 1 or 2 lbs. on drag quads people spend up to a thousand dollars to get lightweight drag axles. a drag axle will save you 7-15 lbs. on a drag quad for every 7 lbs you can remove from rotational mass, is the same as adding 1 horsepower. studs also stick into the ice, limiting your top speed. there is absolutely no need for 200+ studs. on anything. unless its a skid-doo alpine. it is a well known fact in the drag quad world that the more paddles you have, the less your top speed is.the paddles penetrate the sand and slow you down.my good friend gained about 5-8 mph on the top end going from a 10 paddle to an 8 paddle. this is the same concept with studs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
be careful of what you read on some of these posts. studding a track will definitely shorten its lifespan but you have to determine how you like to ride. if sliding around the corners and letting the back end hang out is what you like than don't stud However nomatter what anyone tells you a studded sled will out accelerate a non-studded one but will give up some top end. They also will out brake one too hands down. Firecats and sabercats have running board mounted heat exchangers so don't stud the outside track bands.that doesn't leave alot of track area to stud, about 2 per center band pitch which works out to 102 studs. again your riding style, safety concerns, and pocketbook will have to make the decision for you. Don,t forget that if you stud you must compensate for the added track traction with better steering carbides or the sled will push in the corners.

·
Registered
96 Posts
if your a trail rider and love the trails and dont race. Dont stud. Plain and simple. If you do both trail riding and race a bit, then stud the track about 96 of them. You put to much and your sled dont want to steer in the trails. It will always want to go straight.

·
Registered
36 Posts
studs are a must. just intall them right. the people that have problems with them don't intall them right. get the template for firecats which you can get at an arctic cat dealer. if you have a sno pro package which i own, i would recommend 101 studs. standard package i would go with 153 or more. you probably will get some push but you can upgrade to bigger carbides. they also make double carbides now too. i upgrades to c&a pro skis with single 8" carbide. i have an f7 sno pro with 101 1.5 studs and it is awsome in all snow conditions. rv sports has a deal on green c&a pro skis with mounting kit for $120. i don't know if they have any other color. go to rvsports.com to contact them. but studs for sure and install them to spec and use a track cutter.

·
Registered
205 Posts
101????? the firecats have 51 bars, you cant put 101 in unless you just leave 1 out. and also, the studding template is just a waste of money. just watch where you put them so you dont puncture a cooler. so do yourself a favor and save $30. and C&A skis are shit on the trail, they're WAY to stiff, if you hit a hole you risk breaking a ski. just my $.02.

·
Registered
36 Posts
wow you really are a hillbilly. how do you know how c&a skis are on firecats. you ride old garbage. anything would feel stiff to you. i have them and love them. and the templates are like $10 from arctic cat and them you don't have to measure the track since you can't put them in certain spots on a firecat track. i used it for the first time on mine and it just saves a ton of time but you can do it both ways. oh ya and i did make a mistake i have 102 not 101 studs. sorry too many cold ones that night. but the set up i have on my firecat works great for me. do what you want but why listen to a hillbilly with a polaris

·
Registered
205 Posts
old garbage??? hahahaha. YOU'RE F**KIN HILARIOUS!!!!! and joe, i didnt rip you're shit, dont rip mine. also, with 11 posts you shouldnt be ripping ANYONE's shit. C&As are junk around here. period.

·
Registered
36 Posts
well hillbilly you must have had a little bad luck with some c&a skis but i've had mine on since i got my firecat and haven't broken them and i love the way they handle and ride. so they are working for me and most people that race sleds

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
HAHA a 2002 edge x 800 is junk!! haah thats funny! i would take that over ANY sled ANY day! yea he didnt bash ur sled so why r u bashin his?:confused:

·
Registered
329 Posts
144 Picks in my XC.
0 in my REV.
My truck & trailer hate me for the studs. But when it comes to braking I love studs. But I do not ride hard enough to put me in a situation I need to stop on a dime.
With only 1 weekend / 200 miles I am willing to never stud again. But then I have a dirt bike back ground and would rather have the back end out a little in the twisties.
At this moment, my REV will be stud-less. Next track on the XC will be studless as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
an edge x 800 over any sled! i know those old antique polaris chassis aren't that good. that's why hopefully in 2005 we won't have to see anymore xc sleds with different plastics that polaris likes to call "new" sleds. not bashing your sled they are solid machines, just trying to say don't tell me that a product is junk (the c&a skis, hillbilly) when half the racing world uses them and i haven't broke them yet on my sled. say what you want, but if you take an edge x over any sled you need to get out more. i bet you'll be the first guy buying there new chassis.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Studs

I have the most fun on a sled that isn't studded but that's just my riding style. I had a ZR 500 that was studded and it felt too restricted in some areas and beat the track up pretty bad. I haven't studded my F-6 and it's been great.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts