Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my first snowmobile owning adventure has taken an annoying turn. I purchased a snowmobile off of Craigslist, the guy told me his brother still had the title in his name and that I'd have to meet him to transfer the title. I met the brother at a local notary and transferred the title (no red flags so far). I don't know much about sleds so nothing was concerning. For whatever reason, I decided to actually look at the Vin on the sled and compare it to the title. It's not the same sled, or even model. I called dcnr, and after many hours of them not understanding the situation I still don't know what exactly to do (they did say that the sled was registered in PA). I called the guy who I purchased it from, and he claims that he bought the sled with that title and doesn't have another title anywhere. So now I have a sled that's titled to someone else, and I don't know how to proceed. I know I should have checked the Vin but the fact that he met me at the notary with a title seemed straight forward! Does anyone know if there's a process to request a new title to a sled that's already titled, or reach out to whoever it's titled to?

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Do you live in a state that requires a title?

I ask, because up here all we need is a bill of sale.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Yikes yeah go with what Dan said. Hopefully you can get it figured out. Whenever I do selling or buying of anything I do up multiple bills of sales. I have Vin# for all copies, signatures from him & me, along with exact year, model, engine size, any modifications I or they did to it along with anything extra I get or give them. Also here in the state of Wisconsin you need a bill of sale with the money amount on it and the registration card there is no titles for snowmobiles in this state nor do you need to register & put plates on trailers either here.

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
1995 Polaris XLT Touring
545 Posts
I had a headache registering my last sled 10 yrs ago. Bought it from someone local, wasn't registered but he wrote up a bill of sale for me. Went to register it and they wouldn't accept it. Asked me to go back to him with a printed bill of sale they provided me. Here you have to pay a registration fee plus 15% sales tax on the higher of price paid or book value. The seller had already told me he wouldn't register it himself because he didn't want to pay any taxes.

I just went back to the DMV, said that the seller ghosted me so I couldn't get it signed. The person at the window went to get the manager and when she came out it turned out I knew her. She processed it right away for me haha.

I don't see why, as long as the vehicle has a clean title, that they can't just let you pay them and do everything legal and by the book.

In your situation I wonder if it's possible for the dmv to reach out to the owner listed on the VIN physically on the sled to see if they can trace the ownership. If that person says they sold it to X, or if the chain starts missing links, as long as it's not reported stolen and they've spoken to the most recent owner on record, I would think it would be fair to assume it's clean and register it...

·
Registered
26,057 Posts
Wisconsin makes it Very easy and can do it totally on line!
I reg a sled there for the 3 years or how ever long they used to last and then registered it in Illinois

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
2 years they claim it is 3 now but nope last 2 times I've had to redo my registration the stickers have come back as 2 year stickers. Ever since that crock of a yearly trail pass for everyone living here came into effect. They said oh we will give you 3 instead of 2 but everyone I know has only had 2 year stickers show up. Price stayed the same but yeah now 30 dollar yearly trail passes. Grrr

But yes it is very easy to register and buy here compared to other states that is for damn sure!

·
Registered
1995 Polaris XLT Touring
545 Posts
Trail passes here are $75 for vintage 20+ yr old sled, $200 for regular before dec 31st and $300 for any pass after dec 31st. Add on $50 registration annually and it adds up.

But the trail fees cover grooming, maintenance and safety officers for 300 miles of trails, which they don't really make a profit on, they just cover their costs...

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Registration fees covered all that here till the big money clubs wanted more money even though they showed profits big time. Smaller clubs around here warned it would cause many to leave the sport and it has. So those smaller clubs are now hurting really bad not only for membership but for fundraising money and the amount of events have dropped probably 75% since that law came into effect. Basically it was a few politicians one who was big snowmobiler in a big club with big money wanted more for his club and they got it. Clubs were not hurting in this state with the amount of people who snowmobiled here along with the ones from Illinois, Indiana and Iowa who came here to ride. They had to pay 50 dollars for each snowmobile. Which is going to happen anytime you go out of state. Several of us went to meetings and proposed a different approach why not increase the registration fees from 30 to 35 or 40 for a 2 year pass? Small clubs said yep that would work great but the big clubs won out and since then you can buy snowmobiles for 50-65% what they go for in other states people are dropping out of it like crazy because what about the families that have 3-6 snowmobiles who ride 3-4 times a year and can not afford the time to do a club? That is 90-180 dollars a year in extra fees. Not right. I know I know I have bitched about this before and I am sorry but it is a sore subject for me.

Now back to the OP...I wish you luck in trying to get it figured out. That situation is never easy.

·
Super Moderator
18,302 Posts
Wow. License and title required here, but the license is $10 for two years. No trail passes, no other fees. Oregon has about 6,000 miles of groomed trails groomed by volunteers in 25 clubs. The cats are paid for by fuel use tax and distributed to the grooming clubs via the Oregon State Snowmobile Association. The clubs groom about 30,000 miles in the cats statewide every year to get 100% of the money allotted by the Oregon Department of Transportation.

I find it interesting to see how it's done elsewhere, good conversation!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
The Wisconsin State Snowmobile Association wanted this as well big time. We started a club in Illinois out of Morris my parents and myself were among the charter members who helped start it, get it going, supported it and my parents were on the board as well. Clubs have there uses and without them we do not have trails or a sport. I have no issues with clubs I support the local ones around here when we can if they have fundraisers or events but tbh I've only seen a few in the last couple years. Before we would have 3-5 poker runs a year between all the clubs around here since then I have seen one. Granted the Covid situation did not help at all but snowmobilers are still going to go out and ride regardless since 99% of the time we are on the trail stop in get your card unless you are one that stupidly drinks while riding and take off again all while supporting a club or charity. What I don't like is the big money clubs up here running the sport the way they want to when they want to and add w/e they want to. That law has just killed our sport, many land owners are upset over it as well, shops don't like it, small clubs don't like it. Basically only a few of the big money clubs like it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I live in pa and would suggest you get your money back , I purchased a sled and was supposed to have the title mailed to me , after several weeks of no title I decided if he wouldn't give me my money back that I would sue him , which I had to do and that is still in process , you do it at the district judge in the area you purchased it in. It was of no use to me because I only ride on stae land and could not register it.

·
Super Moderator
282 Posts
I'm in PA as well and will say that title will be worthless if you go to sell it again. Most likely the easiest thing to do would be to ride it and then when it blows up, part it out. Scrap the aluminum chassis and call it a day. Otherwise to make this straight you will probably find it's impossible. PA is really strict on titles now. For a reason and this is it.

Steve ex PSSA Board of Directors Region 3.

·
John from Washington
72 Posts
I collect old Brit cars and have quick insight to share. In the People's Republic of Washington, snowmobiles don't get titles, I did not read the whole the post so, not sure if situation applies to you. In the event a vehicle requires a title, they have you bring your vehicle to a highway patrol or police department, a background check is done to see if the vehicle was reported stolen of has a lien. If no to both, a new title is issued.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts