Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Mississippi, so we dont have many snow mobiles here so I cant take it to a shop to get it fixed. I have a Vintage engine (hirth) and the carb needs rebuilt. I found a few carbs on e-bay and I think that would be my easiest way. The current carb is a Tillotson HD 39A. I found some HD carbs that have different numbers and letters, would any HD carb work?? I also found some that are HR's and I found an adapter plate to make an HR into an HD, if I get an HR and the adapter plate will any HR work? One of the ones I found is a HD 62A 16, and another is a HR 7A. thanks for the help

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
The HD and HR carbs are physically different size carbs, and also for different size engines. An HR may be too small to run the engine efficiently. It all depends on what you want to do with the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan on getting an HD, but will any HD do or do the last numbers and letters have to match. I dont care about the throttle linkage because I am putting the engine on something else anyway. thanks

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
I think any HD will work for you. Tillotson made 3: HD,HR, and HL. All the replacement carb kits in my catalogs are for all type of HD's, no serial number break is listed. Any should work.That's all I can find for 'ya.

·
The Snow Man
142 Posts
I have a HD62A and a HD87A. Both just rebuilt this season. I have run both on my 72 440 Cat and the 62A seems to run smoother. I think the 62 has a bit smaller of a primary jet than the 87 so it may have to do with the size of the engine. What are they asking for the 62A? I may be willing to part with the 87A if you would like it. Just shoot me a email and we can talk...

-Fess

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fastsubie said:
I have a HD62A and a HD87A. Both just rebuilt this season. I have run both on my 72 440 Cat and the 62A seems to run smoother. I think the 62 has a bit smaller of a primary jet than the 87 so it may have to do with the size of the engine. What are they asking for the 62A? I may be willing to part with the 87A if you would like it. Just shoot me a email and we can talk...

-Fess
I really want to buy it if it is what I am looking for. The one I have has no electric fuel pump so the pump is on the bottom of the carb and has a place for the fuel inlet line and a vac. line. If yours is the same set up I may be interested. The ones on e-bay were 25 and brand new, but I dont really like useing e-bay. If you have AIM you can message me at [email protected], and my e-mail is [email protected]

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
THE ONLY THING YOU MIGHT HAVE TO DO IS TO CHANGE THE
THROTTLE "BUTTERFLY" SHAFT TO WORK WITH YOUR SLEDS
THROTTLE CABLE SYSTEM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts