Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the sled out for the first real run of the season today and i have found a few unwanted problems. First i realize i heard a squealing noise coming from the belt..I have just bought this sled over the summer so i am unsure about how old this belt it. As i was driving it i would hit around 90mph and everything would be running fine and then the rpms dropped and it began to bog down.. i stopped and let it idle for a second and took off again and it was fine, not bogging. but this happened a few times. i took the plugs out and the bottoms were black and dry. Last problem i had was shutting it off. i hit the kill switch and it still ran, so i shut the key off and it still ran, so then i took the teather off and it slowly shut off.. Like i said, i just bought this sled so i am unsure about how its supposed to run but i know its not right. any ideas for any of these problems would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
Squealing at idle, or at speed?

There are known stator issues with some of the mid 90's engines.
It sounds as if the high end coil may be failing.
Use the sticky link by Blain1 on the index page of this section to troubleshoot/test for this.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i got the sled to no longer bog at high speeds. Sitting for 2 years may have gummed up the carbs and after taking it out again for a good run today it seems to have cleaned itself out. The belt is still squeling though. Also would high rpms cause the kill switch not to kill the sled right away? if not then im still stuck as to why the engine doesnt cut out once kill switch key and teather have been shut off.

·
Registered
711 Posts
You oculd have a stator issue causing the bogging...but it sounds like you need to go through the sled first. Check clutch alignment and center to center. Check clutches, Replace the belt. Check compression, check jetting and also check your grounds. Check/clean and reconnect all stator to cdi and trigger to cdi connectors using dielectric grease. Bypass the tss and kill switch. Watch some of my videos and it'll give you a few things to look at/check. Sound slike the whole sled needs a good going over.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts