Snowmobile Forum banner

Throttle sticks?? Sled revs highhh!!!!!

11K views 26 replies 6 participants last post by  RJ Gleason 
#1 ·
i have an 1988 arctic cat cougar 500 F/C and i finally got everything built and it revs mad high!! i rebuilt the carbs but nothin changed. cleaned everything and it wont work right. it starts it just revs so high. any ideas???

#2 ·
Yes. My idea is you have a serious air leak. From either the carb boots, or the crank seals. Spray starter fluid in those areas. if rpms go up, that indicates you have an air leak.

#4 ·
yeah do you know how to set the carbs?

#5 ·
my sled was doin the same thing.. I sprayed carb cleaner everywhere when the sled was running and didnt find any air leaks... Ended up being my throttle cable was to tight, and makin it rev high. So I adjusted that properly, and adjusted my idle accordingly, and now its alot better

#6 ·
Should be either an idle screw that you can make adjustments to while machine is running, or there might be 2 screws (one per cylender) not sure how your carb is set with that machine.

Remember very slight adjustments on the screw, like a clock, only an hour at a time, very slight!!!

#7 ·
well i did have the carbs loose so i could pull them off without having to keep loosining them up so that could be a problem... but the slides in the carbs only shut half-3/4 of the way so they stick open and it revvs really high... idk what to do! i looked atta throttle cable today and it costs 115.00!!! so im not dumpin that into it if its not necessary...

#10 ·
If the slide needles have gotten gent, that can cause the slides not to close all the way too.
Is there any slack at the throttle block (1/8" between lever and block)?

#13 ·
If the throttle cable is too tight, it will not allow the slides to close properly thereby causing the condition you are experiencing.
I suggest that you address this before trying to run it any longer.

#14 ·
Mine still idles high at start up then lowers, I cant get mine perfect.. But plugs are both a nice color.. Maybe I should mess with my pilot screws

#15 ·
loosen the nut on top and bring the slides down till you have like a #2 pencil in there. thats about where it should be not half way down. and look to see like RJ said about the needle being bent.good luck

#16 ·
What nut are u refering to?

#17 ·
the lock nut on top holding the throttle cable in place. is that slides or butterfly carb?

#18 ·
Oh I gotcha.. I think I have my throttle cable pretty well adjusted.. I jsut dont understand why wen u turn the choke off the idle jumps up then goes back down to 1.5... and there butterfly

#19 ·
no he said his slides are only half shut so i'd say he has slides. also mine does that also when i first take my choke off also. i think it is normal cuz all my sleds do it. but i have mine to idle at a grand.

#20 ·
My bad thought u were talkin bout my sled.. and maybe it is normal, just never really payed attention to it before.. I wont stress over it

#21 ·
thats cool. mine will jump to about 2300 then back down to a grand in a few sec.

#22 ·
I think mine jumps to like 3500.. hmm

#23 ·
well if yours idles at 1500 then it sounds about right.

#24 ·
Thats true, my idle is set higher then yours, so it makes sense.. Ill just leave it the way she is lol

#26 ·
get a torch tip cleaner kit. they are like 3 bucks. take it all apart and use the tip cleaner and clean out all the holes and jets. also use carb cleaner to blow them out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.