Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Noob
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know, it's my first post. I've never been a snowmobile guy, but always wanted to buy one. I bought an acreage this fall and it finally gave me a good excuse to own one. Didn't want to spend a bunch of money on my first sled, and came across a guy selling a 98 XC 700 twin. Picked it up for $1,000. No hood cracks. One tear in the seat. Instrument cluster black paint is mostly gone. It's not beautiful, but it seems to be in pretty good shape overall. When looking it over to purchase, it fired up on the first pull (more on this later)..... Now granted, it was summer time, and who knows if he ran it before I got there to make it look like an easy starter, but I figured how bad could it be? Loaded it on a trailer and brought her home.

So, as I ask for a little help here, treat me like a two year old, because when it comes to knowing much about sleds, that's pretty much where I'm at.

It's been sitting in a buddy's shop since I bought it a couple three months ago and we just finally got some snow yesterday. Went over there to start it, and of course, it won't. Pulled and pulled. Tried a little ether...nothing. Cap full of gas in the cyls....still noting. Checked for spark by taking one of the plugs out, plugging the hole with a spare, hooking up the plug wire and holding it against the block while I pulled it over. There is spark. Tried full choke, half choke, no choke, some throttle, some nothing, and nada. I bet we pulled on it for 20 minutes.

Noticed a little liquid in the belly pan...it was gas! Looked closer and it was coming out the exhaust...is that normal?

The sled does have some mods, and I dont know if any of these things could be causing some issues. Like I said...don't know much about sleds so I'm just going by what I can see.

It has some fancy NGK Wires, and what looks like an aftermarket coil pack/ignition? The carbs have some kind of tube that runs on top of them, connecting them somehow.... It has dual exhaust pipes instead of the factory single, although the guy gave me the factory one too. It's been jetted differently, and I assume the guy knows what he was doing as there were written instructions about what jets to use for what altitude, etc. It has some kind of riser handlebars which I'm not a huge fan of.

Anyway, could anyone offer any suggestions to get this thing started? If nothing else, I'm getting some exercise, but I'd really like to ride the thing instead! Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
75 Posts
well it sounds like you may have a carb problem although im surprised you didnt get at least an attempt to start with ether and the gas in cylinder trick how do plugs look the first step i would do would probly be to throw new plugs in it and give it a try but more than likely you may need to disassemble the carbs and clean them thouroughly also a compression check never hurts you should be somewhere in the region of 120 psi i bellieve under 90 or a major difference between the 2 will generally not run

·
BAHNN Motorsports
189 Posts
hello...trouble shooting sled problems is at times, the process of elimination. First, check the KILL SWITCH, make sure FUEL LINE is turned ON, next unplug the ignition connection which is located on back of where the key goes in....you said you have spark and fuel coming out pipe so my guess is the engine was flooded. the easiest way to start your carb sled when it's flooded is hold the throttle wide open and pull till it starts which should be 4-5 times at most. Let's try this first and go from there.....we'll get it running, hang in there.....

·
Noob
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well it sounds like you may have a carb problem although im surprised you didnt get at least an attempt to start with ether and the gas in cylinder trick how do plugs look the first step i would do would probly be to throw new plugs in it and give it a try but more than likely you may need to disassemble the carbs and clean them thouroughly also a compression check never hurts you should be somewhere in the region of 120 psi i bellieve under 90 or a major difference between the 2 will generally not run
I just put new plugs in it today (although I didnt gap them....) The old plugs were a little black/sooty, but nothing that looked terrible. I did not do a compression check, although I do have a tester I could grab this week and give it a try. I can tell you this much...when pulling it over, it sure FEELS like it's got compression!

One other thing I saw in a different post. Someone else simply moved a sled and didn't shut off the fuel and was told to drain the crankcase? I didn't know you ever had to shut the fuel off, so I'm sure mine has been sitting open since I picked it up 3 months ago. What's that all about?

·
Noob
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hello...trouble shooting sled problems is at times, the process of elimination. First, check the KILL SWITCH, make sure FUEL LINE is turned ON, next unplug the ignition connection which is located on back of where the key goes in....you said you have spark and fuel coming out pipe so my guess is the engine was flooded. the easiest way to start your carb sled when it's flooded is hold the throttle wide open and pull till it starts which should be 4-5 times at most. Let's try this first and go from there.....we'll get it running, hang in there.....
Thank you! OK... Kill switch up, check! Fuel on...See prior post :) but yes I assume... The little lever is horizontal. The ignition deal has the top spade unplugged..prior owner told me it didn't need a key and to just leave it this way. I will do the wide open trick. Do you choke it too while you're doing this?

·
Trevor
4,135 Posts
I would bet she's just flooded. When trailering, I would reccomend turning the gas line off, as they like to flood with all the bouncing and whatnot. Next, with the plugs out, pull it over a bunch and see if any gas comes out. After that, with your kill switch up, key on, gas on, and new spark plugs, see if she starts. If not, maybe turn your gas off and let it sit for a while. The thing connecting your carbs is probably a boost bottle, which equals air flow between the carbs.

·
Noob
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you guys for responding. I'll try these things over the next couple days. You mentioned putting new plugs in it. Can I just clean/dry the new ones I just put in today and try those? Surely flooding it wouldn't require new plugs would it?

So what I'm hearing is:

Pull the plugs and pull it over a few times. If no gas comes out, put dry plugs back in and try to start it. If it doesn't start and I flood it, full choke and full throttle should do the trick. If that doesn't work, give it a compression test and look for something around 120 in both holes.

Anything else?

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
no you'd just need new plugs because of them being fouled. Wipe or burn them dry.

Remember to turn the fuel shutoff in the direction of the fuel line as YamiSS said.

Choke should be in off and throttle full is what I would do if flooded. But maybe choke is good. Try both. IDK.

·
Super Moderator
16,794 Posts
On the crankcase under the exhaust are two small plugs. Pull those plugs and it will drain excess gas from the crankcase. Drain all the gas you can from the gas tank unless it's fresh. If you filled it with oxygenated fuel when you got it, it's bad now. Oxygenated fuel won't last more than a couple of months before it starts breaking down and makes things hard to start. The new Stabil for oxygenated fuel works for a while, but even with Stabil, oxygenated gas goes bad a lot quicker than the straight stuff.

·
Noob
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Coul someone help me out a little? I don't know where to locate these plugs. On the front of the engine under the exhaust I found two half inch bolts that go up into the block. I removed each but nothing came out and they were about an inch and a half long each. Don't think that qualifies as "small plugs" as the last poster said. Only other thing I see directly under the exhaust is a metal tube that appears to go into each cyl, and two allen head bolts that appear to support this tube.

I'd post pics but I'm in a shop at a buddys place a few miles from home, and I'm posting this on my blackberry desparately hoping I can figure this out so I don't have to go home and see my wife give me "that look" again about my great deal!

Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
There should be two bolts, one under each exhaust port fairly close to the bottom of the crankcase. They should take a 3/8" wrench to remove. Should only be about .5" long.

·
Noob
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
call 507.327.8436 I'll wait...Brad
This right here may be the coolest thing that I've ever seen on a forum. Thanks for the 15 minute conversation Brad!

Those stupid plugs would have bit me if they were any closer. They were so small I completely overlooked them. After draining them, I would estimate about 2oz of fuel came out of each side. Not the gushing I was expecting.

Still no dice on the starting. Tomorrow I'm going to head out to where my tools are stored (we're building a house), and grab a compression tester. I'll head back and hopefully learn something (good or bad). I can tell you this much, I am certainly getting stronger pulling on this sled forever!

Air, Fuel, and Spark....got em all, but no go! Just want to ride the F-ing sled!

Thanks all for the continued help.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
try taking out the plugs, pull it over a bunch of times, then put in new plugs, no choke, hold it wide open and pull it over hopefully it fires and starts

·
Noob
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good news and bad news. Want the bad news first? I'm an idiot. Why am I posting that? Cause I could have just went away and saved my last shred of dignity, but what fun would that be? Besides, it's a good lesson in really being thourogh.

So tonight I head out to where my tools are stored and grab my compression tester. Go to the sled and test it out. 120/115, which I think is OK...., so what can this be? I pull on it for a couple more minutes and get nothing.

I then remember a poster on here saying something about if I've flooded it, not needing to replace the new plugs I just put in, but to instead "burn the fuel off" of them and put em back. So, I decided to do that. Hadn't done it yet and seemed like good advice, right? I pulled the plugs out and gave them a sniff. Yep, I can smell fuel. See a little bit of moisture on there too, which is what I've seen every other time. So I grab a lighter out of my pocket and light 'er up. I expect to see a little flame, but get nothing. Well that's boring. I do the same with the other plug, get nothing there too. WTF? So I pull out the gas cap and there's a little bit dripping off the bottom. Maybe I somehow got water in my fuel? Who knows. Light the tip of that just for fun... Whoa, yep, it burns.

Well, HTH am I getting no flame from the moisture on the plugs then?

Here's where the embarassing good news comes in. I still have a gallon and a half or so of gas in this gas can, so I decided..WTF..and dumped the rest in. Put the choke on and backfires on my third pull. Fires up on the next one! OMG...I am an idiot. Noob, whatever, let the names fly.

I could see gas in the tank, but it must have been below whatever was required for the fuel pickup. The gas I put in the other day ( probably 1/2 gallon) and apparently didn't get it high enough in the tank to matter. I could smell gas on the plugs and see moisture, but maybe just vapor?

I then promptly drove it to the gas station and proceeded to fill it with 8.47 gallons of fuel. I had no idea they'd hold that much!

So, long story short, and 3 days of screwing with this, the lesson here is don't assume anything! If you do, you may end up looking like a fool. Let that be a lesson to you. :) And, my sled runs pretty damn good! I'm going to take it in now and let a pro go through it, but I'm back to feeling darn good about my $1,000 purchase. Oh, telling my wife that I got it running??? Priceless!.... Let's just not provide the details. :)

Thanks to all for your help.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey everyone makes mistakes don't worry about it. At least you learned and hey even if it makes you look kinda dumb it was an easy fix! have fun snowmobiling I wish I was mine is getting jackshaft bearing put in. I thought I got a good deal but I rode it 46 miles and they went out! all well it happens I guess.

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Same thing happened to my cousin 2 years ago...no big deal. We all make mistakes man. Just be glad it was something that simple! You know your compression is fine and you got stronger from pulling it over so many times! See the up side? Haha...just messin with ya man. Glad you get her goin. Might I ask where in SD are you located?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts