Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 1996 ZRT 600 with a clutch kit and a silencer. i was riding in kalkaska MI when on my way back to my aunts house when all of a sudden the sled seemed a bit sluggish. it was only turnin 7200 at WOT i thought that i was fouling a plug. so i tried cleaning it out before the end of the road. but as i approached the end a flame shot out the clutch side and the sled just caught on fire. i was in a panic so i shut it down and got away from it not knowing what was about to happen i was a good ways away from the house still too far to run so i flagged a car down and we called the firemen. they came and put it out but it was too late. the whole sled was cooked. i think it had to do with my needle and seats everytime i stopped with it i had to shut the gas off. i only had 90 miles on it since i had bought it and was going to get new needle and seats the next day. so i think the carb flooded and was shooting gas back into the air box or somethin along the lines of that and that is what started the fire.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sounds like a bad coil to me... She has two coils on her...1 single and 1 Double. The Double is more likly to give you trouble. You should get it checked.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
SOUND TO ME A FUEL LINE SPRUNG A LEAK HAD THAT HAPPEN TO ME BUT I WAS A HOME AND WAS ABLE TO SAVE IT WITH MINOR DAMAGE. BUT IF YOU HAD A STICKY FLOAT THAT COULD HAVE BEEN DUMPING GAS INTO ENGINE COMP. AND A SMALL SPARK OR HEAT SET IT OFF. GOOD LUCK HOPE YOU FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO RIDE.

·
Registered
64 Posts
when did this happen and where at in kalkaska area? kalkaska area is my roaming grounds, so i know it pretty well. what road were you on?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was on the corner of valley and walker. the sled is completely totaled. i know the exhaust side carb has a small hose that comes off of the bottom of it and it had sprung a hole in it before but it was in the garage so i fixed right away. i got ahold of the ins. company today and they are gonna come by and look at it. hopefully i get blue book on it but im not sure how things like this work?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sorry to hear about your trouble. Sounds like you should be able to get your money out of it.

Is there enough snow to ride out there? Only some snow in the ditches around here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
we ended up going to Brimley on thursday morning there was pretty good snow up there a friend let me ride his 03 viper we got 300 miles in 3 days and couldnt destination ride so we did pretty good. yea there wasnt much snow in the kalkaska, rapid city area we drove through mancelona and the autobahn was bare.

·
Registered
54 Posts
SDlawndawg said:
Is there enough snow to ride out there? Only some snow in the ditches around here. [/B]
Here in Kingsley we're gonna give the trails a try this afternoon. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Sorry to hear about the torched sled. What a bummer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just like 96ZRT600 said there is one good place to ride. Up here in the brimley area. From Sault Ste. Marie to just around Newberry there is plent of snow. Just during the past couple days we got close to 2ft.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
because gas burns fast, im gettin more from ins. than what i paid for the sled so im pretty happy about it. im thinkin of buying a 01 MXZ 700, with pipes, reeds and lots of extras its actually my grandpas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts