Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
YAMAHA
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so last night im sitting around and i came up with a good idea. I have a 1992 Vmax 4 that the tunnal is messed up to the point of no return. Well my friend has a 94 vmax 600 thats about to blow. Everything about it is good except the motor. So i was thinking could i strip the wiring, motor, ect ect and put my motor in it. I can weld motor mounts. Will the Body panles fit? I can get the sled dirt cheep. it would be a summer project. Any thoughts are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

·
YAMAHA
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alright i was wrong. My friends vmax is a 95. From what i have seen of picturs and such it could work i would just need to fab up motor mounts. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 2 cents... Anything is doable if you are willing to put in the time, effort, frustration & money. The question you have to answer for yourself is, will it be worth it to me? Some folks love wrenching and a challenge. If that describes you, go for it.

Me, I like riding more than wrenching. I'd look for a Vmax 4 with a good tunnel & swap it out. Or, buy your buddy's Vmax & rebuild the motor. If it hasn't blown yet, now's the time to do it.

·
YAMAHA
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love to have a good challenge. I have a good xlt so its not a majior deal if i dont get it done this summer. The 600 berrings are shot and i really dont want to change crank berrings again. As far as i know the 92 and 95 vmax 4 had the same frame. The 95 vmax 600 should have the same frame as a vmax 4. According to pictures and a little homework i belive it could work. All i would have to do is weld motor mounts and swich out the panles.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sounds like you have your answer then! I suspect that swap would make the Vmax someting of a sleeper on the lakes.

Things that you might have to fiddle with are the gearing, exhaust routing & discharge, hood clearance and intake/air box. The clutch spacing & offset will be critical obviously. Wonder if the Vmax4 secondary will work on the Vmax, that would help make the clutching easier if it works.

·
YAMAHA
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya i would be. I have all the stuff from the vmax 4 to swap out into it. Body panels, hood, air boxes, wiring harness, the goods all i would need is a primary but the 600 has a good one on it. How can i make shur my clutchs are lined up? I have to make motor mounts so should i just lay the motor in line up the clutchs and mark the spots?

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
i say go for it. if nothing else, just for something constructive to do. you may find the vmax 4's chassis a bit wider than the twin chassis.

i put an srx triple in a twin pogo chassis. scary fast on the grass, could never get it to hook on the snow, even with a track full of chisels. thing was light and stripped to nothing, drag specific.

only thing i could get to fit was the hood. had to cut a portion out for the triple pipes to fit. it was a fun build.

·
YAMAHA
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 4 body is a bit wider but thats why the side panles kick out futher. I can swich then out easy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts