Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, after many months of sitting under the big tarp in the hanger with no heat ,I started working on the sleds X- mas day.The 93' RXL SKS got new fuel filers & slides ,bumped the rear suspension 1 notch . The 96' Ultra got a good look over in the engine department on when I'm pulling her heart out for the tear down? At least it's a start.:D

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm really going to try to up date when the work is in progress & maybe pics & vids if possible.Ride on everyone & maybe I'll catch up to ya.

·
Registered
466 Posts
we're still wrenching here too! We got 8 inches the last 2 days and we're still working the bugs out on everyones sleds that didnt get fixed at the last of last season...it seems like it never ends. Between riding my sled and trying to finish my race sled before the first race, at this pace, winters going to be over!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we're still wrenching here too! We got 8 inches the last 2 days and we're still working the bugs out on everyones sleds that didnt get fixed at the last of last season...it seems like it never ends. Between riding my sled and trying to finish my race sled before the first race, at this pace, winters going to be over!
I here ya,January is going to be sled month now, no matter what the ol' lady thinks! Picked up tie rod boots & rivets for 93' RXL SKS yesterday . Got to get things done for the first POKER RALLY!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Installed tie rod boots & gas shocks on the RXL ,installed torsion arm bushing blocks, tided up some wiring ,cleaned air box ,on the weekend.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yesterday ,worked on the drive shaft bearings , loosened track.& pulled secondary off noticed 1 of the 6 screws on the sheave face was missing, weired? After cleaning around the PTO side drive shaft bearing took speedo cable off ,cable spins freely.

Took speedo housing off & mini cable going into drive shaft , not broke nicely lubed, good. While cleaning the face of the bearing on the shaft ,the rag caught a edge of the outer bearing , the outer bearing race is cracked, wasn't noticable with the grease on it!? This bearing wouldn't of lasted very long !

Took chaincase cover off drained oil & inspected ,noticed chain tensioner roller was loose ,pulled out for inspection roller bearing shaft walked out of roller bearing holder ,one side is chewed & out of round ,will need replacing! That wouldn't of lasted very long either! Dam!

Will take pics today.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a pic of the bearing on the PTO side .Took pieces of bearing out so you could see where the hair line cracks were on the bearing. Some of the balls were half there!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Bet that made some unusual noises. At least you caught it before major damage occured.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's the kicker, the bearing did not have all that much play in it's (red) casing that you see , but once the bolts were out & the bearing was free it showed the evidence .the pieces that are missing are the the ones I picked out after I found the hair line cracks!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also noticed chain in chaincase has two small chips gone on the links.
The upper bearing in the chaincase has drag needs replacing.
Brakes are soaked with gear oil they also need replacing.
Rear suspension has 4 almost seized boogie bearings.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bathing in Ball Bearings!

On the way to work this week I picked up more parts,bearings mostly.After seeing the carnage of the left side drive bearing,all the bearings are going to be replaced.Starting with all 12 rear suspension boogie bearings.
The chain case will get both upper & lower bearings,signs of rust in there ,on the bearing casings.The chain & sprocket have rust in one spot from sitting & have two chips of metel gone off of each side of the chain links .Desideing either used or new?New is $250.00 taxes in for chain & sprockets .A new chain tensioner roller was also purchased.
As for the brakes being soaked with gear oil from the damaged upper seal gone in the chaincase , I also decided to purchase them to ,$50.00.
All in all the bearings ,seals,chain tensioner,& brake pads has cost close to $190.00 with taxes .
Start cleaning & r&r bearings today :)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
93'RXL SKS update.

Well ... finally got suspension all back together ,spit & polished . Man, it's like restoring it back to new again,I think I'm getting to carried away?:dunno:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This last weekend was a long & cold one ,the first thing in order was to get the chain case bearings in & load everything up & take to shop.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The chain case was in place roughly ,but was not lining up properly. With a sledgehammer ("Pinky") & a pry bar all was better. Tunnel damage from previous owner!

Next was the drive & left tunnel bearing

Then all the new parts for the chain case.

With that in place & the left bearing speedo stub cable ,speedo casing & cable bolted down it was time for the new brakes.

With the secondary cleaned & inspected it was time to install.

Last but not least ,the rebuilt suspension .

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Time for The hood & nose !

I thought it mite as well be time for the hood & nose for the o'l RXL so it was ripped off after work & brought down stairs in the house .

·
Registered
351 Posts
Did you drill that lower hole in the suspension bracket? Would like to clean up my XLT this spring and get the suspension working right. Thanks for the inspiration.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lot's of scrubbing , cleaning & polishing! What a difference, even the spring back on the rear is better & a little stiffer to.The bracket you asked about (Skid) has the extra hole from factory.

·
simy03
74 Posts
Great Post!!!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks! Just sharing with you all the little things I've done so far.
Picked up upper & lower radius arm bushings ,also ski spindle bolt & bushing kit yesterday ,will take pics.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts