Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my 97 XLT LTD put back together after doing crank seals and I still have the same old bog as before i did the crank seals..... The Mag side seal had a big chunk missing. I had a major bog to where on a stand, I could only get it to rev around 4500 rpm so I cleaned the clutches really well and now it goes past that. However, now it'll only rev to 6500 if I punch it then it'll bog back down and almost die. If I baby it, I can get it up to 8k rpm. Clutches are cleaned and the EPI TP-9 clutch kit is installed. Carbs have been cleaned and synced a few times and the track tension is what I think is correct. I tried unplugging the kill switch to see if they made a difference and it doesn't. Again, it really only limits the rpm if I punch it. Any suggestions? I've done a ton of reading on here but am running out of things to search. Thanks!

· Administrator
19,927 Posts
Where are the air screws set on the carbs? You could try turning those in equally to see if that helps. If you turn them in with no change, keep going; if you bottom the screws (gentle!) then it's likely the air or fuel passages to the pilot jets could be varnished. Or you may need the next bigger pilot jet.

· Registered
4,678 Posts
Floats are two low or water in the fuel.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I have some additional things to try this weekend
-The air screw is set at 1 turn out per the manual. I believe all the jetting are stock. I bought the sled late last winter.

I'll also be swapping the fuel since the tank is nearly empty and check the float levels.

Again, thanks for the quick replies. This has been driving me nuts.

· Registered
293 Posts
Usually when a triple is weak and bogging it is down a cylinder. I would pull the plug caps and check for rpm change and also see how the plugs look. I turn on the air screws should be correct for the XLT. I went 1 1/2 once because I was too lazy to look it up and it was hard to start and idled too high.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I adjusted the floats and the air screw and the bog was the same if not a little worse. I did notice that the fuel filter had very little fuel in it at all times. I had just replaced it but it seems like my pump is weak. I have a mikuni rebuild kit on order. Going to double check the pickup line in the tank.
The other thing I noticed is that after I let off, the lights will flicker as if it's not getting good spark. I do have some extra coils so I may swap those out too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts