Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 1991 Polaris Indy 500 that is not giving me any spark. I tried by-passing the key switch by jumping the wires and still nothing. We tried putting a voltage tested on the plugs and they are getting some power when pulling the chord, but I'm not sure if they're where they should be. Is there a way to test the CDI box before I try this? Also, I'm going to try to test the stator with an ohm reader, does anyone know where I can find the correct readings for this? Thanks!

Mike

·
Super Moderator
17,883 Posts
About the only way to determine a CDI problem is to switch your CDI onto another sled or use a known working CDI on yours.

For the 2 cylinder Fuji engines, the only specs for the stator that were listed in the Clymer manual is the Exciter coil test- brown/white to black red- 164 ohms. All the others had no specification numbers for the twin.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dan, I guess I'll try to check the resistance of the stator.

If that's ok or even close to spec, where else would I begin to search if I don't have any spark at the plugs?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I know some people refer to the CDI as the coil, but they are two separate things. The CDI is the controler that feeds the signal & voltage to the coil. The coil steps the voltage up to produce the spark.

Are you sure the coil is good? I'd check that first.

I bought a used coil pack for my '04 RMK on eBay for about $40 shipped.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know some people refer to the CDI as the coil, but they are two separate things. The CDI is the controler that feeds the signal & voltage to the coil. The coil steps the voltage up to produce the spark.

Are you sure the coil is good? I'd check that first.

On a 91 Polaris Indy 500, the coil & CDI are a one pc unit. This is the same for most all of the Polaris Fuji twin cylinder engines (least in the late 80's through most of the 90's)

·
Registered
215 Posts
. I tried by-passing the key switch by jumping the wires and still nothing.
Mike
Sorry, but you wired the key wires together? bypassing the switch? I may be wrong (anyone chime in please if I am) but that is grounding the ignition, like having the key to OFF position, bad place to start a diagnostic.

Just unplugging the switch harness should bypass the switch, and the sled should fire.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry, but you wired the key wires together? bypassing the switch? I may be wrong (anyone chime in please if I am) but that is grounding the ignition, like having the key to OFF position, bad place to start a diagnostic.

Just unplugging the switch harness should bypass the switch, and the sled should fire.

Or just unplug the single black wire coming from the CDI down to the stator, that will eliminate all engine shutoff systems.

Oh, and FYI - this means you'll have to choke it to shut it down should you get it running!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

You are 100% correct. I was told this by a local shop last week and tried to disconnect the kill switch and that didn't work. Then I tried disconnecting the key switch and she fired right up! Ugh, too bad I didn't try this months ago as we HAD some great snow for a while. Oh well. Thanks for the suggestions!

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts