Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandson had his Ford truck stolen and then got it back. Long story short, someone poured something into the gas tank and ruined the fuel pump.

He replaced the fuel pump with a new one, but I wanted to pull apart the old one to see what what going on. Discovered that someone poured some powder into the tank that was probably sugar or something like that. It really gummed up the fuel pump. I pulled the fuel pump apart, cleaned everything up and put it back together and it worked great. I pumped about a gallon of water from a bucket in about 40 seconds.

Of course, he didn't want the pump back, and I thought it is perfect for siphoning out gas out of machines. So I bought a 8' long hose connected it up to the output and long 12v leads. I happened to have a snowmachine that had sat for 4-5 years with about 1/2 tank of gas, so I decided to use this pump to suck it out of the machine. Worked perfectly. Sucked it down to almost nothing in the tank. About 4 gallons in just 3 minutes.

Bottom line, Truck/Car fuel pumps work great for other purposes too. This one is about 1.5" around, so fits easily into many different gas tanks.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
That's a great tip! I end up draining my tanks at the end of the season. Ends up fueling the lawn mower/trimmer/blower and chainsaw during the warmer months...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts