Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 96 ext deluxe got about 40km out of it and the track stopped spinning. Broke chain and top sprocket. Finally found chaincase, got my jackshaft bearing off that was about as easy as teaching math to a dog and now I’m looking at my sled thinking I am way over my head. What are some crucial things to do when putting driven and trackshafts, chaincase, suspension well everything but the motor and seat lol. Is it easier to take air box off to make room to work? I havnt worked with anything efi before. Track and suspension are out

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After the chain had broken I figured since I had it apart I would replace all the bearings casuse the previous owner had said he’d never done them. I’m fairly new to fixing anything so I took everything apart (shafts and suspension) the rear shock absorber was no good so I replaced it with a good one as the suspension rear arm was being twisted and pushed down almost parallel with track. I pieced together a skid and re assembled the suspension it’s resdy to go does the track shaft have to go in before the jackshaft? I don’t see how I can get the flange to hold pto jackshaft bearing in unless I take air box off as there’s no damn room for anything like my fingers or even a wrench to tighten nut.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your help hopefully I’ll get it in by next season....I bought a prowler the other day for the wife it’s a 93 and the rear shock on that one was shot as well so now I’ve taken the shock from ext skid and put into prowler only to find a roller on primary is half rubbed flat and I don’t feel like taking shock back out.

Ok so unrelated. Can I take spider off primary while it’s still on motor I have another clutch for a 550 same year but I don’t have a puller. I was going to use roller from 550 clutch for 440 clutch. Thank you again

·
Registered
486 Posts
I wouldn't as the weights might be different. And tbh I have never seen a spider rebuilt while the clutch is on the engine. Just easier to do it on a bench with the spider tool as you need one of those as well. Your best bet is to send it to a shop to have it rebuilt correctly and have it re-balanced as after every rebuild you should do that as well.

Also pullers are cheap, eBay, amazon, MFG Supply. Most clutch pullers can be had for 8-20 bucks vs the spider tool which can run around 20-50 depending on for which clutch. At the end of the day buying the clutch puller is always a good investment, but for the other tools needed for rebuilding it ends up costing as much to have someone else rebuild it. If you were going to do this all the time then yeah buy the tools. But even then I have just sent them in because then they can balance it so it is ready to go right on and it saves me time.

KC will know if the clutches are the same for weights and springs as he is the Cat person around here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I’ll just take it to someone who knows what they are doing lol thanks again. At least my Indy is ready to go lol now I just neeed some snow to go with the -20 we have had

1 - 7 of 7 Posts