Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tach on the raider has 3 wires. 2 are black, tied together, and are grounded. the 3rd is yellow, and is spliced into yellow wire that goes from the engine to the rectifier. i presume this could be right but have my feelings of it being wrong. is this the right place for this wire, if not where does it need to go? tach just slightly flinches every now and then, its not a RPM dependant relation to the tach flinch.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Most sled tachs work off the flywheel magnets/ignition stator. Don't know if this helps you or not, but isn't therectifier connected to the lighting coil?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the tach is hooked up right, just check the ground or maybe the tach went kablooey on me.

all this sled has is the 2 magnetic coils under the flywheel, and the rectifier. so unless one of the 2 coils under the flywheel is a "lighting coil" it doesnt have one.

was talking to a senior who graduated online last night and a buddy of his has a 73 44TT, same model, year, and engine as mine and he's going to check the wiring from the engine to the rectifier for me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i tested the 2 yellow wires coming from the charging coils under the flywheel. at an estimated 2000 RPM, i was only getting 3.2 and 3.5 volts. i had the volt meter on the "~V" setting. i tried the VRPM but it did nothing, hope those were the right settings. heres some pics of the "rectifier" or maybe its the lighting coil you speak of.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2 yellow wires from one side of rectifier to charging coils under flywheel, the brown coil hooks to the engine harness on the same wire for the killswitch that goes to ground. i cleaned all grounds good today, made the tach light work again but thats it.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the other side of the rectifer has a fused red wire that goes to the ignition switch, then to the headlight, so this is my belief that i've assumed it a rectifier when its really the lighting coil you speak of.

Attachments

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Under the flywheel there should be 2 coils, the "trigger" coil for the points, and the lighting or "external power" coil. The voltage you measured is way too low. Can you measure the AC voltage out from the flywheel? That AC should be going "in" to the rectifier.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the voltage coming from the coils under the flywheel was what i tested, i havent tested voltage coming out of the rectifier. my test light seems to light up fairly bright when testing before and after the coils, no difference in lighting. i gotta go pick up the rear shocks for it today and i'll get a universal rectifier while i'm there, and start ripping the place up, we got snow again last night!!! i'll be able to set the carb up now, as it was on this motor, and i had to use it on the 400 non reed i ran for a few years, and now it needs to be set up for the 440 again.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the tach started working the other day after the connector for the hotwire for the lights hit the housing and threw sparks everywhere, tachs been working well ever since, altho i blew the fuse and lost all lights and corey didnt know where i was, as its dark at 2AM. anyway, tachs fixed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts