Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i got the VES on my new switchback. Obviously polaris says synthetic oils is best, but at $33 a gallon, they can eat me. I have heard that you can use the cheap stuff and that you would just have to clean the VES more often. I have also read somewhere that you can mix the two oils if need be. I need to know if this is true. I bought one gallon of the stuff for break in purposes and a gallone of the cheap stuff for after that, minus the 2 quarts i put in the oil.

Ideas?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I use the Amsoil Intercepter with my REV. I also used it on my 96XP both with Rave Valves. I could eat dinner off them they are so clean. My XP had nearly 300 hrs on the motor & the rave valves were squeaky clean. My Rev has just under 1,000 miles (bought this spring) & when I pulled the Rave valve to check for the ring flaking, they were like new. (usually rave valves get carboned up to hell with regular ski-doo oil.)
I'm assuming the VES is similar to the Rave valves, I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I started using syn. oil [any good brand] in 1976[never burnt an engine] and since 1997 have run 5 different POLARIS'S to 5000 to 6000 miles without a bit of trouble.
From all I have read it is just better.
I got the latest Snowtech Mag. 2 days ago and it has a very good article on syn. versus minerl oil. It says syn. leaves almost no carbon on rings, that syn. burns only at final combution giving lubrcation at all times, not burning early like mineral oil. Plus many other good points.
I agree Polaris syn. is to expensive, so shop around for a good after market brand that is more reasonable priced.
Hope this helps.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
There are a lot of choices out there. I use Klotz, others use Amsoil, but stick with a synthetic. Check the other threads on this topic also.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I too read the article in snotech. I know all the high points of synthetic, but can i use regular oil? the manual says its ok and you can mix the two. In all fairness getting 6000 mile out of a polaris is normal. Thats why polaris are my choice. maybe i will check on amsoil.

If i switch to amsoil, can i mix amsoil to polaris sythetic?

·
Registered
329 Posts
dano said:
If i switch to amsoil, can i mix amsoil to polaris sythetic?
I've always heard & read you can mix Synthetic oil with dino oil & vise versa. But never mix one synthetic with another due to viscosity and other issues that may lead to clogging. Maybe someone with a better understanding of oil injection can clear up this haze for us.?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
dano, if you are using syn. oil now you can mix any syn. oil with it,
the mixing problem occurs when you add syn. to mineral oils
because they don't mix well and could run dry as mineral runs out and syn. begins(air bubble) i have run pennsoil syn and clean
my rave valves in fall and thats it and they clean up easy with brake cleaner. hope this helps.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
very good, thanks guys!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts