Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am sort of new to sleds i guess, just purchased a 99 powder specail. the previous owners ran amsoil synthetic oil. i am not so well educated on two stroke but i know in 4 cycle engines it is not recommended to switch back from synthetic to non synthetic. is it the same with two strokes?

Mike

·
back in the game
2,364 Posts
in 4-strokes you can switch to dino to synthetic to dino, etc. and it won't matter (unless your at 100K mi and you switch to synthetic, then it does)

I went from dino to synthetic, and will going back to dino soon (it seems) and I'm not worried at all.

also, if funds permit, I'd run synthetic if I were you :)

·
710 Posts
Synthetic is more important on a sled with valves but does give you better wear on and sled. Pretty much the only rule of thumb is pick a brand and keep running it. Amsoil is pretty good and not that much more than regular Cat oil from what I've seen. And usually with synthetic you can cut your oil pump or mix back because it lubricates better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well from what i have heard not only here on these forums but also from my friends in recreational engines that the amsoil synthetic is the way to go. even if it is more spendy...

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Im getting ready to switch oils today. Right now using Arctic Cat Oil. How low in my resivor do I need to let the old oil get before I add a different brand?

·
710 Posts
locky said:
Im getting ready to switch oils today. Right now using Arctic Cat Oil. How low in my resivor do I need to let the old oil get before I add a different brand?
When I switched my 800 over after I bought it I ran it down pretty good on the trails then rode on the lake for a bit where you don't usually do alot of sloshing the oil and just topped off with synthetic. Most say you can mix but I feel better running it down, just don't go to low and suck air.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts