Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know if anyone that has a Switchback thinks it needs studs. My uncle is gonna get one and doesn't know if it will need studs since it has such a big track well the lugs are bigger. Also is it worth $800 more for the 800 over the 600. My uncle has a 2000 xc 700 right now and says it has more then enough power but wich one would be better the 600 or the 800.

·
Registered
711 Posts
800 no studds. If you stud a track that big it will weigh a ton and you wont be able to turn in at all. A 600 is too small for that track. I have an 800 switchback, its the way to go\

dano

·
Registered
23 Posts
either one i dont tink it wud be neccesary to stud. and if he likes the power go wit the 8 if u want better insurance get the 6. both shud have plenty of power.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Studs do most of there work on icy roads or trails, in the average trail system they're not needed. So the answer to the question is where do you ride most of the time? Our cabin is 15 mi from town and the county road is the groomed trail and the quickest way back is to take a plowed county road for 9 miles, therefore studs are very important to most of the guys in our group ( don't want anyone having an advantage ). Maybe a happy medium would be 72 studs or 48 just for some control on the icey stuff. We all ( my group ) have 1 1/4" tracks for 2 years now and we see no more or less stud rip out with the bigger lug, although I seem to bend a few more than I used to. I do think alot of guys "over stud" I run 96 1.375 Woody's down the center in v pattern of 6. shane

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I should have said most of our riding is trail riding. Would the 600 Switchback keep up with a 600 classic or 600 Edge both fairly stock.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea scratch that he doesn't want a Switchback anymore he is going to get a XC SP most likely. Probably 700. He found out that the front suspension only has 7 inches of travel and the XC SP's have 10 inches. He is gonna look for one with a M-10. He likes my M-10 it rides nice. Ever since I got my M-10 1 of the guys in our group got a M-10 and so will my uncle probably it is a really nice suspension.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I hav a 600 switchback and i think it is a little slow but i giess it depend on how big your bag is. My sled is not picked and i hav no trouble with icy hills or on hard packed trails. Just move over to the side of the trail, find some powder and hammer down. I guess it depends on where you ride and if you have any experience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts