Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 91 Indy Lite. The guy I bought it from put in a gas shock. The suspension has only 2 settings and even on the softest its way to stiff with the gas shock. Will the ride be softer with a regular shock? Or what kind of upgrade could I do to improve the ride. I know its an older sled but she only rides a couple times a year so I don't want a big investment.
thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
YOUR BEST BET WOULD TO EITHER BUY THE ORIGINAL SHOCK FROM POLARIS OR GET A DIFFERENT SLED. A 91 INDY LITE HAS TERRIBLE SUSP. SOME OF THE OTHER SMALL SLEDS THAT HAVE A BETTER SUSP. FOR CHEAP MONEY ARE OLDER SUPERSPORT'S OR 380 SKIDOO'S . YOU COULD PROBABLY GET EITHER ONE OF THESE FOR AROUND $1500-1700 OR SO. BUT THEY CAN BE HARD TO FIND THIS TIME OF YEAR.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess I'll go with the stock shock for this year. It's got real low miles and is in nice shape but I did hope for a little smoother ride even for a 91. Guess I'll save up for a better ride for her for next year. We switched sleds for a while last year and she rode my 02 mxz 700, almost didn't get it back!
Thanks for the advice.

·
Administrator
1,152 Posts
ARANF7 said:
YOUR A BRAVE MAN LETTING HER RIDE YOUR SLED, AFTER GETTING OFF A 91 LITE. YOUR LUCKY YOU GOT IT BACK!
Yeah.... can you tell me why did she give it back... I bet he ended up promising her a new sled this year. ;)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Told her she could keep it if I could spring order a brand new REV!
That worked to get my sled back (guess she doesn't want me spending $9000 !)

·
Administrator
1,152 Posts
Ture. But for around $6k I bet you could get a 2004 Polaris XC 600... that wouldn't be too shabby either.

Actually. The new XC 600 is the sled I want to get next... I told Dano yesterday that is the next sled I want to get. I totally plan on riding my cat throughout this year, but who knows maybe next year I'll be able to find a nice XC 600 in the box.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The 2004's are sweet. The new colors and decals look pretty good. And they fixed the only problem I could find with my 2003. They added heat exchanger surface area in the tunnel for added cooling of the engine. My wasn't too bad, but I had the temp light come on a couple times early in the morning on the lake before the Ice was chopped up enough to throw any snow or slush onto the heat exchangers in the tunnel. I plan on preventing that problem this year with engine ice coolant and maybe an additional in line air cooler under the hood near the hood vents. Other than that, in my opinion the engineering of a polaris sled far exceeds the engineering of a skidoo. I know others will say the same.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Damn, I'm about ready to sell my 03' now for a new one. I believe the 04' also comes standard with reverse. Which could be very convenient for gas stations and turning around in tight places.

·
Administrator
1,152 Posts
JimmyV said:
Damn, I'm about ready to sell my 03' now for a new one. I believe the 04' also comes standard with reverse. Which could be very convenient for gas stations and turning around in tight places.
I think if I had an 03 and saw the new 04's I would trade in. ;) Of course decals is a lot of what changed, but dang I don't think I have seen any sled as pretty as that black and grey XC. Hot. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts