Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '89 Yamaha Ovation's rear suspension only takes about 10 sounds of pressure on the seat to bottom out. I don't think this suspension is adjustable, so I was wondering if anyone knew what it could be. Thanks

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
As KC said shocks and springs. Most likely it still has the original springs and over time they take abuse and they are wear & tear item that many people tend to forget about.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have very much money to fix this. Is it possible to rebuild the shock itself?

Failing that, will it damage any other component to bottom out frequently? I don't mind a lot since I can post over most bumps, but don't want to damage anything else. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
1,825 Posts
Yes it can,
Try removing the skid (go through all the bearings and boggies)
Remove the springs, pay attention to the direction they are Torqued Tenssioned how ever you call it.
Then put the spring in a vise and give it MORE preload
Then see if you can match the shock to a new one.
I put a Kimpex gas shock on my Ovation

Really the Seat is the best part of that suspension!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have much experience with suspension. Does more preload mean you tighten down the collar so that the spring is tightened?
Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, is adding more preload something to try before replacing the shock, or something to do in addition?

·
Registered
174 Posts
More than likely the shock is a oil shock. Those are throw away when they are shot. You can find a new replacement for around the $30.00 range or a gas shock in the $70 dollar range.

Adding more preload adjusts for your weight. The more you add, the harder the suspension gets. But, you are just compressing the spring and that is your suspension movement. It will just make your ride harder.

As KC said, your best bet is to replace the spring and shock. They wear out over time and need to be replaced. That will get what little suspension these old sleds had back to what they were!

Here is a link with both front and rear shocks so you have an idea. I was not sure what year you had, so I just put in an 89.

Don't forget to check or replace the bushings. These wear out over the miles. I am in the process of replacing all the plastic bushings in the suspension on my 96 Mountain Max with 3K miles on it. They are all worn out and the bolts are rubbing on the suspension frame that they are in.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also on the topic of suspension, the skis don't turn to the left as well as the right. I was wondering what parts would cause that and how much they cost.
Thanks
BTW it is an '89

1 - 10 of 10 Posts