Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 Cat ZL 550. The right rear suspension bolt may be stripped and starts coming out after very bumpy trails. What is the easiest solution?? Is there a nut under the tunnel that may be missing, or maybe the hole the bolt goes through can be stripped?
help!

·
710 Posts
You mean on the rear arm? Not 100% sure where your talking about but loctite and a split lock washer should do the trick if it's where I'm thinking.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I'm assuming you're talking about the pivot idler arm. That's where the rear suspension attaches to the tunnel. There is no nut on it - there is a threaded insert in the middle of the pivot.

Go to: http://www.brownsleisureworld.com/Parts/SNOWMOBILE/2002/2002ZL550/REARSUSPENSIONREARARMASSEMBLY.htm

and look at item #10. The bolt threads (through the tunnel) into that. The sides are knocked off it, so you can get a wrench on the back side of it. You should be able to lift the rear of the sled, and take the bolt out. Remove the "axle" and examine it. If it's damaged, get a replacement. If it isn't damaged, put some lock-tite on it and reassemble.

·
four gear pinned
1,991 Posts
your are going to have to take the whole tsl out cuz the nut(10) hits the idler wheel.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I do believe that sesnopro is right. The nut won't come all the way out because the idler is in the way.

You could do the "inspection" with the nut still in... and just the bolt removed. You'll need a flashlight to get a good look at the threads.

I've learned that if you lift the rear high enough, and get a floor jack (with a piece of ply against the track) underneath, dropping the rear becomes a one-man job. I've done it twice now. So easy I wouldn't have believed it. To get it back in place, you just pump the jack. No problem! Make sure you take the tension off the rear idlers...

I learned that *after* several wrestling matches between the suspension, and me, and my son. The suspension always managed to win... until I figured out that height is my best friend when it comes to working back there. Get the bumper 4 feet off the ground!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts