Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the deal I sunk my sled in about six feet of water for approximately 1/2 hour. I know, stupid thing to do but ive got to move past me being an idiot. I'm not sure what to do now, the sled is an 04 F7 efi 700 miles. I initially pulled plugs cranked her over and got her running to get her back to my garage. On the way home she quit and we couldnt get her started (we figured ice balls) so we towed it home. I drained all fluids (oil, fuel, chain case) and poured marvel mystery oil in the heads and exhaust and let it sit and thaw for a couple of days when I tried to pull her over she was siezed. A wood dowel through the exhaust was able to pop the engine free very easily. I had also pulled the pipe and air box. I then puled the return line (????) from the crank case to the oil pump and let it drain down with the marvel and any milky oil that was whipped up. I dried out whatever I could and refilled the fluids and got it running. It seemed to run fine. Here are my questions. 1) will the milky return eventually work out? 2) looking through the exhaust ports/manifold I noticed some scores and possibly some slight metal smears (???melting) near the ring goves, how bad is this? 3) what are the tell tale signs that the engine has been submerged? I really want to know the answer to #3 in case I need to warrantee anything. I know that swimming voids a warrantee but if I can get the thing running fine and a 3 months down the road the thing melts down I might try to get warrantee work done. I just dont want my dealership to know or get stuck with the bill if Arctic Cat has a was to see its been under. I know this was alot of reading thanks for the help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey, if you have insurance and full coverage, let it go full throttle off a cliff. No more worries about warranty being void. I know someone will post a reply saying thats why premiums are so high but thats why you have insurance.

·
Registered
183 Posts
FatCat,
You should of towed it home and all would be fine, I feel bad for you because now you're looking at a complete engine rebuild, even lower end bearings and the sled may never be right until this is done.
1.) Once water ( Milky ) is introduced into your oil system it is contaminated and all must be drained and changed. If you try to burn it out AGAIN you will probably stick your piston.
2.) Bad, if you have nikasil or ??? plated cylinders they are or will be ruined soon if you do not fix them, if you have standard cylinders you may be able to hone or even bore them to clean then up.
3.) Milky oil in the lines, explanation why it siezed for the dealer ( they are trained mechanics not "Messsage Forum Junkies" like us.
4.) Also as a business owner myself it's not a "Cool" thing to "Rip the System", you doing this type of thing drives up all costs of our sport because you want to get your repairs for being stupid for nothing. Sorry but I had to say it. If anyone would like to expand on this last comment lets start a new thread and "Have at it!"shane

·
Registered
323 Posts
2002mxz700adren said:
I know someone will post a reply saying thats why premiums are so high

More importantly, a totalled sled drives your own insurance cost way up. And if it's insured with the same company as other policies (such as auto or homeowners) they all go up.

·
Registered
153 Posts
i have a 99 rmk 700 and did some skipping yesterday and sunk it up to the crank. it started right up and ran the rest of the day. i have pictures of just how deep and a vidieo of it sinking. was that bad?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts