Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 summit800R, I will be snowmobiling in Ontario this winter and wonder if anyone has put studs on this machine? Royal Distributing say you can't stud it?

·
Registered
192 Posts
That sled came with a 2.5 inch paddle track from the factory. Coolhand is right on. Not made to be studded. It is a deep snow track, not a trail track. I have a Summit with a 2.25 inch paddle and it states right in the owners manual. Do not stud the track. If you are going to use it on packed icy trails a bunch, I would go to something around an 1.5 inch max. You could stud it for the ice, and still have some paddle for playing off trail.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I'm here for the winter and don't plan any long rides or racing. Just want to be able to get out for some riding locally around Barrys Bay. Guess I'll just have to take it easy.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You will want to get some Ice Scratchers on it if the sled does not have them already. They drag on the snow and kick it up to keep the slide rails and tunnel coolers cooled down. I use them on the trails going to and from the powder when the trails get packed down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For sure, I have scratchers. Guess I'll have to rely on riding skill to get through the winter here.

·
Super Moderator
17,387 Posts
The problem with studs on a really deep lugged track is the total mass that would be required to have the stud longer than the lug so the stud would hit the snow. A really heavy stud would significantly increase the reciprocating mass as the track turns, which would rob HP and performance. And as the mass of the studs rotated, the centrifugal force of the studs would force the track out more toward the tunnel, possibly enough to hit the tunnel and the heat exchangers. And the last thing... the bigger the stud, the more likely they will tear out, which leaves you with a problem track as well.

·
Super Moderator
2,075 Posts
I know you guys out West have No use for studs, just like why would you want a sled longer than 136!
But in take off as well as in stopping there is Nothing better!
My ZRT has a 3/8" lug and 288 1 1/4 chissel studs and put down 119mph in 1000' of ice and rode to the tity bar that night!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya
I know you guys out West have No use for studs, just like why would you want a sled longer than 136!
But in take off as well as in stopping there is Nothing better!
My ZRT has a 3/8" lug and 288 1 1/4 chissel studs and put down 119mph in 1000' of ice and rode to the tity bar that night!
but can you high point in powder and then go to the mountain bar. Just joking but funny.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts