Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been giving some thought to studding my track. I figure I live by the biggest friggin' body of water in the area (Devils Lake) and we may not see snow this winter, or at least not soon. However the lake will freeze and I can ride that. I would like to know the pros and cons to studding my track, what all needs to be done, how many studs, types of studs, etc. Is it something that I can do myself? I'm not the best, nor am I the worst on working on machines, but I can turn a mean wrench with a little guidance. Plus, I have access to a nicely equiped shop (farm). Is there any good places that offer good deals on studs?

Basically, is there more to it than just buying the studs and backers (if more is needed, what?), drilling holes in the track, and putting the studs through the track into the backers? You guys always give the best advice, so thanks!

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
There's a certain drill bit that's needed to drill the track, it actually cuts plugs out of it and leaves the correct size hole for the studs. There are certain patterns to follow for the best traction and so that the track won't weaken and break. Riding on the frozen lake will be cool, but be sure there's enough snow to hit the heat exchangers so the sled won't overheat

1 - 2 of 2 Posts