Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a storm 800 and it has about 244 studs in it...i have never rode with studs before i was wondering the difference that it creates

·
Registered
482 Posts
TRACTION!
you dont have to worry about the ice patches, say you go into a corner at 45 then you see its all ice. you'll be able to stop quicker or drive through. with no picks you'd slidding and most likely end up in the woods.
another plus is if your on the lake (ice) and hardly no snow, the picks give your heat exchangers a nice coat of ice spray to keep it from overheating.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You might want to think about taking some of those out though, that's sorta...overkill. We used to have 244 in my dad's old 800 triple too, but it wasn't needed. If I were you, I'd try FIRST 192, then if it sticks too much still (cuz it will tend to push w/ too much traction) take out more till 144...that should work fine, but who knows. My dad stuck with 144 or 192, but I don't remember anymore. But remember, his sled also had 180-190 hp...so he needed a little more traction or else the track did nothing but spin...yours I'm guessing is around 150, so you don't NEED that many, it'll probly push in the corners.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
192 should be PLENTY, id run the 144

·
Registered
60 Posts
244 studs in a 800 is fine, to eliminate the "push" you would typically run 8-12" of carbide up front. This would all depend on your riding style, and then you can also adjust front ski pressure with the skid limit strap. Dan

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
only way the studs damage any trails is if you are an idiot and ride around spinnin your track.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The argument over studs is a long and heated one to say the least. Some say they will not ride without them, others say the are useless. We can agree to disagree. In the end we must remember this, it is not the stud that does the damage but the individual operating the machine. Track spin on a trail with studs or without will make for a rough ride. I personally will not ride a sled without them, but I also realize that if I spin the track on the road, I not only chew it up but take the chance on ripping one out and windowing the track.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I bought my first new sled last year. I quickly studded it after the first ride. ( figured i'd try no studs):confused: My ridin buddy says he hates them, I dont understand. There is just no way to hook up or STOP on hard pack and ice. 244 studs does seem like alot though

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
john, try a studded sled on a lake, or hard pack and tell me what you think, its the only way to go!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have no studs on either of my, or my wife's sled, but I will have 96 put in my wife's because of the better grab when attempting to stop. She is not a speed demon by any means but sliding stops do not excite her especially with our children on the back. Ride safe and use good judgement no matter how you ride.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I also have a love / hate relationship with studded tracks. I love studs for the traction, but there is something to be said about fishtailing and sliding at every turn and having a massive rooster tail of snow spraying everywhere! I really enjoy riding a non-studded sled every once in a while, just like sometimes I take my truck out of 4 wheel drive to slid around and have fun. But when it's time to get down to buisness, the studs rule. In the end, the benifits of having studs outweigh the benifits of not having them. Here in the East we get a lot of ice, and when conditions are really icy, studs are nessecary.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have to say just enough studs to make you stick is good. I personally won't run any more than 96. that's plenty to spin the track if you want but it also helps you go and stop on ice. Last year there was a hill that was all ice, those who had studs were at the top and those who didn't were at the bottom.....they do help.......just my .02..

.......Whacked......

·
Registered
217 Posts
I pick all both my sleds with a 144 up the center. I had a track with picks on the outside and they always ripped out of the outside so i would first try it up the center cause you can always put more in!

·
Registered
205 Posts
yea, i agree. studs are the only way to go. i got my unstudded 02 800 out and all it did was fish-tail and spin (and fly). i put 144 up the center and this thing can roost asphalt.:D

·
Registered
228 Posts
with an 800 i bet you can hillbilly800. lol my firecat did the same thing before i put in studs

·
back in the game
2,364 Posts
never ridden a sled with studs.....

Don't really feel a need to have them

Sure they improve your handling, but isn't being tail happy incredibly fun? :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
with a sled like mine, you can be tail-happy any time you want!!!!;) lol they deff. make a HUGE diff.

·
back in the game
2,364 Posts
drz400 said:
Hey G-force, I don't think you are qualified to answer studding questions if you have never ridden a sled with studs!
you make a very valid point!!! though I do know the theory behind them, and what they are, etc. If you take a stock sled and put A LOT of studs in it w/o upgrading the carbides then your sled will have a bad push :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts