Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am kinda new to the whole studding thing. Is it worth it or not? How many? I ride a 2004 Indy 500. Mostly pretty much all trail riding. Most of our trails are hard groomed so that is why I am thinking about it. Some lakes too.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I would say 96 down the middle of the track, none on the outside, and if you ride on ice then yes it is worth it!! I would recommend doing them in the "v" pattern too.

·
back in the game
2,364 Posts
If your willing to pay the price, it's worth it.... :D

it will make your sled do just about everything better on ice.

one of the downside's I find, is if you get going sideways at a decent speed, then your going over :(

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
96 down the middle wouldnt be that expensive. Check out a snowmobile expo they will have studs with backers for about a buck each. And yes, definetely do the V down the middle, outside studs like to pull out.

·
Registered
102 Posts
stud it. you'll like them. but as said only do the inside belt of the track. to outsides will pull out easily and dont even help a whole lot. I studded mine before last season and did 144 down the center. I dont use a template for drilling mine either. If you use a template you will only get a certain amount of scratch lines. just find a pattern you like. For you two studs per row is the right amount with 96 studs. v pattern works best but say away from the windows in the track. At least an inch an a half away from them where you drill the holes. Studs are well worth the investment if you ride any hardpack.

Last year we rode on some trails the had iced corners from being rode on so much. Everyone in my group was sliding through the corners except for me. The best thing about studs is that the do a number of things. They add a fun factor by allowing you to grip and also the safety factor. Also check ebay for studs. I got 120 for like $90 with aluminum backers and just bought another 24 for a $1 a piece and then opted for the snostuff ultra lite backers that I got 400 of for like 35 bucks. Get studs. you will be happy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts