Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any tips on removing the primary clutch from a polaris (500EFI). I have broken a big breaker bar and a pipe wrench trying to remove it, it won't budge. I can't even get the puller out now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If the clutch is wasted, you might try hitting the shaft with a torch for some heat. That might free things up.

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
hmmm, well thats no good... like ditchripper said you could heat her up. Maybe try lubing it up real good if you can get in there. Use something like Nut Cracker or Penetrating oil, let it seep in and keep at it for a few days, then try reefin on the puller agian, i'm thinking that might help, just make sure you use a penentrating type lube, i don't think WD-40 would work as good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another lube that works really well for penetrating is Tri-Flow. You might need to see a locksmith to get it. I use it for everything from stuck exhaust bolts on my truck to lubing my machine gun parts. It's great stuff. And it smells like circus peanuts to boot!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've always been able to get them off by giving the puller a sharp blow with a ball peen hammer. Hit it on the very end and tighten it a little more. Repeat this process until it lets go. Good luck. Let me know how you make out. You may need to grind the end of the puller when you are done to make it pretty again, but it's a lot cheaper than wrecking the clutch. If you can't get a good clean swing at it use a heavy drift punch.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Be careful

1st- try to get puller out. If you can't it is likely bent & the hammer won't help. If you can pump the clutch full of grease, insert puller & as you tighten you have hydraulic plus mechanical pressure- usually not requiring the hammer TAP[only]. This is how SLP & other pro's do it. I have seen people damage crank bearings & break the ignition stator.
Next- if you can't get the puller out, try [as mentioned] the heat---the idea is to heat the steel
part of the clutch FAST so it expands before the end of the crank gets hot [will also melt the crank seal] and expands. If this fails stay cool. Then cool every thing down & try again & again. Remmber prying is also on the crank bearings.​

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
any luck klutes?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts