Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 polaris indy 500 xc, pulled the clutch spring and weights to change them back to stock, when reinstalling we found a bolt was messed up and wouldn't tighten in the hole.

I'm confident we didn't mess this up, and it was damaged last time it was off, and messing with it today made it worse.

So really the fix in my head is to Helicoil it, but meanwhile can I live with this until the end of the season? I would think I should leave it in place for weight/balance of the clutch, can I run it like this for another 100 miles this season? I drive pretty easy, I'm not out jumping and ditch banging. All the other bolts are totally fine. I was thinking about just holding it in place with some rtv for now. Fixing it this spring when pull stuff apart to get it ready for next season.

·
Super Moderator
1,859 Posts
Welcome!
We are talking about the 1/4" cover bolts, yes!
RTV or tock tight let itset up and it would hold.

I have taped 5/16" on a old Cat 6 tower

·
Super Moderator
17,165 Posts
For a temporary fix that works pretty well, take some stranded wire like from an extension cord and put the wire loosely in the hole, then insert the bolt into the wire. I've done that a couple of times and was surprised at the amount of grip the screw was able to get. It may get you by until you can do a proper repair.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts