Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '98 XT 700 short track that my wife rides and I was gonna stretch it to a 144". What i was wondering is if I put 136" rails on it and moved the suspension back 3" and down 1", could i put a 144" track on it without using rail extensions? Also was wondering who makes the best tunnel extension kits for this sled. lets hear what you think!

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
you would need to go back 4". 1" is too much drop down. about 5/8 is the needed amount. you could also find a 144 viper mtn skid and relocate the mounts to work as well. it will have a better approach angle. depending on what 136 skid your considering, relocating the arms as well as the skid will adjust the approach as well.

hartman inc has by far the best fit and finish kits for extensions. i have used alot of his stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The skid I was gonna use is off a '98 Mountain Max. I thought that moving the skid back and down would improve the approach angle quite a bit. I think everything on the skids are the same other than the length. Wouldn't moving the skid back be better than mounting it in the original location and using rail extensions?

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
i am all for relocating skids and eliminating rail extensions if possible. the problem you run into with that skid and your sled is where the steering hoop attaches to the front of the tunnel. its right around the 4" mark so the front arm mount bolt would either have to go forward or back of this point and messes with the track length math.

i have set back several 121 skids and this was not an issue. i have done some similar to what your doing but with longer tracks so again, the steering hoop wasnt an issue. your right at that point where it may or may not be feasable and extensions would be your best bet.

the 1" drop seems excessive, all mine were around 5/8 at each mounting point, and the approach angle was decreased down to around 18*, but who knows. i need to find my notes. my memory is getting bad. i was doing them two different ways. one was relocating the front arm back about 8 7/8 and moving the center and rear back 4" and dropping all three points the 5/8, maybe more at the rear. then i was moving the front arm rail mounts and the shock mount on the rails to duplicate the newer geometry skid found on the 2000 and up 141 mtn max.

confused yet? take a look at your sled and the location for the front arm bolt now and imagine it back 3-4", you will see what i mean on the steering hoop bracket. lets just start there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, I can see where the steering hoop is right in the way to move it back 4". Do you know if anybody builds rail extensions that allow the use of longer Hifax?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also see what you mean by moving the front arm mounting holes back 8 7/8". How was the ride quality with that setup?

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
hartman has the extensions and probably other vendors. i have been running extensions since long before the concept of incorporating the hyfax into them and never had an issue. i may be old school or stuck in my ways, just never saw the advantage(extra cost) as i never had any negative issues. maybe someone can educate me on the subject.

if you have ever been on a 2000 or newer mtn max or even an 03 mtn viper, thats the ride quality. nothing lost really over your sleds ride now. all the ones i have done showed no difference. its the same skid, same basic geometry, same shocks, etc, just altered locations.

in your situation, mounting that skid in the stock holes on your sled and adding extensions for the 144 would be quick and easy. depending on your riding desires, the approach angle may or may not be a factor. are you shooting for a deep snow specific sled or occasional off trail?

i rarely refer vendors, but give tom a call at hartman inc. 208 468 1073. (8-5 mtn time) he probably has an kit to suit your needs or he will take the time to inform you of what you may need. he can be somewhat opinionated at times. i have done a ton of business with him over the years and hes always informative and helpful, regardless of whether your buying his product or picking his brain.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
no problem. i found my notes on the skid, rail and approach angle conversion for the 136-141/144. problem is its been long enough i am having problems understanding my own jibberish. i would have to see one of my past creations as a refresher. i do know where one is though as he just called about riding this weekend. its been years and its still holding up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts