Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, about 2 months ago I bought my first sled, a 2002 MXZ-500 (from a dealer). At first I was so happy to have it, I was all pumped and it looked in perfect condition. I even had my friend who has been riding for years take a look at it inside and out and he said it was awesome. The sled had 1088 miles on it and the body was awesome. Well anyway, I got it home and it sat in my garage for a good month or so before we got snow, but I went out and started it every now and then and it seemed to run great.

At one point I noticed that the choke lever was broken. Looked like it had been pulled out and superglued back in place. I didn't think much of it because it ran great and it didn't look mechanical, just cosmetic. So anyway I get out to ride it a couple times, caught the right hand ski on a stump and had to replace the trailing arm. No biggie, I did that and tonight I took it out again just to test out the suspension, make sure it was aligned properly and whatnot.

So I took it out and drove for probably 6-7 miles on a well groomed trail near my house and it ran AWESOME. First time I had really gotten to open it up and I was already in love. I stopped out in the woods to snap some pics and shut it off. When I started it back up (no choke, engine was warm) it started on the first pull but on the way back I noticed the sled was a bit sluggish. It didn't seem as punchy around engaging speed and sounded different, like it was flooded or something.

So I decided once I got on a straightaway to see how it would handle WOT and it wouldn't get over 6,000rpm or 45mph. It took a good while to get there too. I ended up taking it to a gas station to let it cool down (thought iit might have overheated) and I let it sit for 20-30 minutes but it made no difference. On the way home I got stuck in a ditch and the engine stalled completely. Finally once I dug it out, I was able to ride the shoulder of the road back to my house but at this point I don't know what is going on. It keeps stalling and it idles so low it won't even register on the tach.

I'm thinking that the guy at the dealership knew about the problem with the choke and tried to cover it up and the problem is actually with the choke assembly, not just the lever. It acts like it's choked all the time for some reason. Any clue why it would just start doing that all of a sudden though? It also seems to be running really hot. I've never owned one of these but I'm no novice when it comes to motors (I build shortblocks and drag race during the summer) and it seemed to be way to hot.

I'm just so sick of even trying to get the thing to work. I've ridden it two times the entire winter: the first time I bent the trailing arm and the second time this happened. I just want to get it into good running condition and sell it, pay back the loan and keep my money in the car. I think this is just god's way of telling me snowmobiling is not my sport. What do you guys think and what should I do? Has anyone experienced a similar problem or know what might be causing this? Maybe two stroke motors are just not my bag... Thanks for all the help and thank you for reading, I know this is a long azz post...

--Chris :(

Oh by the way I paid $3800 for the sled and unfortunately it came with no warranty...gee I wonder why. I've put less than 30 miles on it since I bought it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Chris,
Did you check your plugs?????????sled do foul plugs quite often depending on the sled,and it'd do the smae thing as what you said.running on one cylinder,you won't go too fast or get there too quick.put new plugs in and try it out.

Good luck,
Dan

·
Registered
633 Posts
you say u rode on a road, for how long, is the sled liquid cooled, if so maybe not enough snow was getting into the radiator to cool it down and it over heated, my sled was idling low after my brother took it out and overheated it, so i turned the idle up, took it for a few beat runs, then it was idling high(3000 rpms) and i set it back down to 1600 and it runs perfect again, do u have dry gas in there also, my sled doesnt run good with dry gas in it

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
If it wouldn't go over 45, you probably fouled a plug on one side. Change the plugs and ride it again. when you get back, check what the plugs look like. If one is wet and oily, that's the problem carb/choke. Don't get frustrated, it's a machine, you get used to it after a while....:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I thought it may be the plugs also, I just don't know why it would have fouled one right off the bat. I will check them though.

03700cxkid, the problem started before I got onto the road. I was on the trail for quite a while before that and it was doing the same thing. Also, no, it doesn't have dry gas in it.

Thanks again guys. I'll let you know what I find.

Also, smallengineguy, what would cause this problem if it is the carb/choke? I figured they would have checked all this crap out atthe dealership befor ethey put it on the market, but now I'm starting to think they just wanted to get rid of it...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just an update: I replaced the plugs and the throttle response / idle speed is normal again. I'm going riding tomorrow so once I get back or stop for a break I'll check the plugs again and see how it looks. When I removed them the one on the left side of the engine was wet and oily, just like you said. The other one looked fine but I replaced both just to be sure. Also, a friend of mine told me to run the choke at position 1 for a minute or so while doing 10-20mph after I finish riding becaue it will "get the moisture out of the little plunger to prevent it from freezing". He said if that moisture freezes the plugs will most likely foul again. Does this sound reasonable and is it safe/smart to do? Thanks :)

BTW I know the throttle response is back cuz I accidentally hit 4500rpm when I revved it and it threw the roller under the track out of my garage and into the driveway, hehe :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't think you need to ride with the choke part way on,just let it way up good before you even move the sled
(3-5 minutes).

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would only use the choke enough to get it started. The faster you can get it off, the less it will "soak" the plugs. Choke it to fire up and then off. Pull it out for a sec when the motor starts to bog down as it starts the warm-up cycle... I guess it also depends on how the cable is adjusted also..

Sunshine

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
smallengineguy said:
At least you know it's the left side giving you problems now.
Yeah, I'm thinking it was just a freak thing. The plugs look like they haven't been changed in a while so maybe it was just their time to go. I'm going out riding today and then I'm gonna check the plugs again. Thanks for all the help guys :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts