Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im new to the site an looking for some info on building a 96' storm pump gas lake racer. i have alot of ideas but i dont want to waste my hard earned money on magazine claims! i'll start on top,can i put v.e.s xcr jugs on my lower end or would i be better off getting a xcr shortblock with v.e.s? and in doing this do i need any further changes to make it fuction correctly? thanks for lookn

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
xcr and storm are two completely different engines. if you want a runner, find an xcr to start with. more power, more tuning options. 99 xcr 700 or an srx 700 (01/02) will usually take stock or mild mod classes at ANY race. tune them right and they can be in the top of the 800s class. or go 800, but base it on the xcr to get more benifit for the money you put in

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. im definitly leaning toward a 99' up xcr 800 engine. would u happen to know the best pipe brand for those engines? any mod info u have in fact would be very appreiciated! have a lot of big plans but dont wanna jump in blind!

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
slp made a mean set of pipes for the xcr. definately wanna try an start ona 99. i shaved the head, ported, and big bored mine and no one could touch it on the lake but theres always someone at the radar run's that has that much more into theres

·
Registered
13 Posts
Storms

If you are trying to go a bit cheaper and have fun the storm motors are great. The Xcr800 is 5 lbs lighter and will make around 195 hp completly done up, with bored carbs. The storm 800's will pull around 190 hp done up, so if the extra cost isn't worth it I'd run a storm. We run both a 800cc storm and a 1010cc xcr 800 bottom end and they both are real screamers. I've seen the most power on the dyno with Jaws or Crankshop pipes. Crankshop customs made 2.8 hp more then any other pipe we tested including slp, psi, hotseat, HTG, aean... The overall pipe performance depends on peak RPM, our 1010 cc motor runs at 9600rpm and a bit bigger pipe helped.
V force reeds, bored carbs, having squish set and compression set for the fuel you want to run, pipes and clutching.
We were running an 800 storm with v force reeds, stock pipes, stock heads milled .078, timing bumped 2 degrees and bored stock carbs and were turning 121 mph in 1000'. Pipes and porting put us into the 130's without a ton of extra work.

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
Aduck, I wish you still had your Storm, I would show you what fast is!
OK a few racer secrets! Porting, you need to full dissasemble the motor. Put the top of the case on to the jugs and upside down. This will show you the restrictions! Make it flow! Compression, anything over 150# is going to need to use race fuel! Timming, you are wanting to advance the timeing as much as possible without detination! Again Race fuel will help! If you cant get over 200hp DONT BOTHER!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts