• Hard starts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only when fouled

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Rough idling

• Any issues at all - first thing I do!

• Rarely if ever - they can be cleaned and gapped!

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Only if broken or extremely worn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I read on the net about non starts, hard starts, too lean, too rich....and someone says "change the plugs" I have to double-roll my eyes! 馃檮馃檮 in my experience, plugs almost NEVER need to be replaced. They can be cleaned, gapped, filed, and used for MANY 1000s of miles. The one post that made me write this was when someone said badly wet plugs wont spark because the base gets saturated! As a 40-year mechanic and engine builder, I say dont waste money on new plugs - unless they are WAY past it! And by that I mean you can see the electrodes are worn away!
What say you? 馃榿馃挭馃憤
(nope not allowed)

Registered
Oh the fun. When out on the trail, I'll replace the plugs just to get the machine running, but I'll often re-use the plugs I replaced, specially if they are NOT NGK. NGK are a fuse, when they go bad, they stop working, period. No amount of cleaning will make them work properly again.

I've taken apart many spark plugs, NGK's have a narrowing of the anode within the ceramic that can "burn out" but still arc across occasionally. Giving the illusion that it is still good.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Sadly, the first post from him and looks like spam. Maybe we'll mod out his last line!

Steve
Not spam, just an observation! ;) But you can take out my tags if not allowed. I run a few pages myself and get it.
Oh the fun. When out on the trail, I'll replace the plugs just to get the machine running, but I'll often re-use the plugs I replaced, specially if they are NOT NGK. NGK are a fuse, when they go bad, they stop working, period. No amount of cleaning will make them work properly again.

I've taken apart many spark plugs, NGK's have a narrowing of the anode within the ceramic that can "burn out" but still arc across occasionally. Giving the illusion that it is still good.
That interesting. I have a Datsun 240z and it runs SO much better with OEM NGKs in it. So theres definitley a difference. .tho I cant say Ive seen them go bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts