Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
sledhead for life
570 Posts
It iratates me when no one has any respect for other peoples property.

·
TRH- Troll Raising Hell
6,124 Posts
Happened to my Cousins. They kept them outside at night.

When we go to bars, we try to park the sleds so the ones with reverse block in the ones that don't. That way, they at least have to fight to get the sled out.

I take the key but that doesn't mean crap anymore on these things. Don't forget, anything in windshield bags can be stolen too.

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
thats one reason that i love ski-doos D.E.S.S. system.
might be a bit expencive to replace a lost teather,
but well worth it to me.
my zr580 was stolen,i chased him down on my buddys mxz 800.
beat the snot out of him, then realized he just used another key!!
worked perfectly. thats crazy!!
pressed charges against him but he got supervision cause it was his
first offence. ya rite!! maybe the first time he got caught!!

·
Reverend Dennis
786 Posts
Thats nuts, had a couple stolen last week up here from in front of a bar, One guy just loaded one in a trailer and drove off!

When every my buddy and me stop at a bar, going to do what we did a few years back, carry a small length of chain and a lock, lock the sleds together, you want one you are taking both!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
beat the snot out of him, then realized he just used another key!!
worked perfectly. thats crazy!!
From what I've heard, for polaris there are only about 6 different keys used in the last 10-15 years that will start ANY polaris. I've got a feeling other manufacturers have done something similar.

Yep, ski-doo's approach is best. it was borrowed from the PWC seadoo DESS system, and works well. Yeah a little expensive to get a new key because you have to go to the dealer and prove ownership, but its well worth it. If its like the PWC system, the DESS is tied to the MPEM, so its a huge pain to try and get it running for a crook. (have to find a MPEM from the exact same model that includes the dess, as the dealership won't sell one without proof of ownership)

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
its a bit expencive, mine was like 60bucks.
i had an extra one made when it was at the
dealer.
of corse since ive got an extra one, havent
lost original yet, go figure!;)

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Thats nuts, had a couple stolen last week up here from in front of a bar, One guy just loaded one in a trailer and drove off!

When every my buddy and me stop at a bar, going to do what we did a few years back, carry a small length of chain and a lock, lock the sleds together, you want one you are taking both!
Chain is *easy* to cut. Cable... not so easy. Cable is a lot lighter to carry too. I carry a cable and lock in my sled. All you have to do is make it harder to steal yours, than the sled next to yours. :rolleyes:

I cable my trailer and sleds, even when they're parked in my driveway. If you want to take them, you'll have to cut through a 4x4 fence post first. I also lock one safety chain to my receiver, and lock the receiver latch when trailering. Again - I just want to make it harder to steal my trailer, than the one parked next to me.

Wish the penal system still chopped off limbs of thieves... there wouldn't be ANY theives...

·
TRH- Troll Raising Hell
6,124 Posts
I lock one of my safety chains to my truck. That way, you cannot just unhook it and go. I love the tards that lock the trailer to the hitch but no locking hitch pin. Plus, you could unbolt the ball too.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
yikes, ive been to tthat bar before... Im gunna be more careful from now on, tieing the sleds together wwith cable is a great idea

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
Arctic cat only made 2 keys for a long time. Not to mention most older sleds would start if you unplugged the ignition.

·
118 Posts
Thats a bummer, its sucks I see more and more of these listings every year, when I went to get insurance for my motorcycle there was a guy in there who just had his new Harley stolen, didnt even have it a week and some idiot took it!:mad: luckily they were able to replace the whole bike free of charge which was cool.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.