Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could somebody tell me what the factory stock clutch setup is for my 2000 xc700. I want to go back to stock and tune from there. I would like to know what weights and spring the drive clutch had stock, and what spring was in the driven clutch stock. I have multiple options for both, but cannot remember what stock was. Could somebody also tell me what the spring numbers tell me. I understand how the clutches work, but don't remember the numbering system.

·
Super Moderator
17,075 Posts
stock primary spring is almond, weights are 10-60. Secondary is silver, helix is a 36 degree.

The almond spring has a 150 lb engagement load, a 320 full shifted load, and 136 lb/in spring rate. Free length is 3.65".

The engagement load is the amount of force the weights have to overcome to get the sheaves to close on the side of the belt to engage the belt. The fully shifted force tells how much side force the sheaves are giving the belt at full shift, and the rate affects the shift RPM during the shift and also affects the top RPM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
stock primary spring is almond, weights are 10-60. Secondary is silver, helix is a 36 degree.

The almond spring has a 150 lb engagement load, a 320 full shifted load, and 136 lb/in spring rate. Free length is 3.65".

The engagement load is the amount of force the weights have to overcome to get the sheaves to close on the side of the belt to engage the belt. The fully shifted force tells how much side force the sheaves are giving the belt at full shift, and the rate affects the shift RPM during the shift and also affects the top RPM.
Is it the same setup for my 2003 600 edge x

·
Super Moderator
17,075 Posts
The stock spring is 120/310. If you use the almond/blue, your engagement RPM will be higher. Heavier weights will decrease the shift speed and may also decrease top RPM.

The engine may not have enough HP to run the heaview weights in the powerband. If you change away from stock, change one thing and then test. That way it will show you what the result is with the specific change. Take good notes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The stock spring is 120/310. If you use the almond/blue, your engagement RPM will be higher. Heavier weights will decrease the shift speed and may also decrease top RPM.

The engine may not have enough HP to run the heaview weights in the powerband. If you change away from stock, change one thing and then test. That way it will show you what the result is with the specific change. Take good notes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks BC Dan for the info. I will definitely switch one thing then test. I read on another forum that the guys are running they’re 600cc with 10-60 instead of the stock 10-58. With the 150/310 spring. And they say they gain at low and mid range power without loosing top speed. More snappy they said. I’m going to try the 10-60 weights first with a new 120/310 spring. Then try a almond spring 140/330 with the 10-60. See if it gain or lose power. Then play some more lol. Thanks again for all the info

1 - 9 of 9 Posts