Snowmobile Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Plenty of snow up in the mountains still, guessing there'll still be rideable stuff into June if you go up high enough. Unfortunately, the good stuff is gone. I was up last week, and it was wet mush for the most part. Still fun, just not magical like a foot of fresh powder.

·
Super Moderator
17,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I hear you on that! I was out Wednesday with a couple of guys. We stopped and I pulled my avy probe to check the depth. The snow was about a foot deeper than my probe which is 8 1/2 feet from tip to tip. We call that "hero" snow, it's so set up, it's difficult to get stuck unless you slide into a tree well or do something really stupid. Rain is coming, though... that may go away pretty quickly! I'm glad I don't live down river from all that ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I thought my riding season was over a few weeks ago. Had a storm go through Southern UT on Wednesday. There was a foot of snow at 10,000 feet but at 8,000 there was only an inch. I went up yesterday for the last ride of the season. Was able to get in a little over 100 miles.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Nice way to end the season!!

We still have good snow at higher elevations, as well, but the trails lower are becoming increasingly bare. Our grooming is pretty much done for the year. Time to put the kittys away for the summer!

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
Believe it or not Here in North Central Illinois we have 5" and still snowing!

Dang I will have to go move snow with Bob Cat the Middle of April!

·
Registered
974 Posts
We got hit with around 14 inches on weds night through friday morning but it is mostly gone already. No one got out and did any riding not with the temps 40 degrees or so since late thurs night.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Was out this past Friday in SE Idaho. Had 4 inches of new snow on a 7 foot base. Great ride, very few riders (2) that we saw and beautiful views.

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm hoping to get at least one more ride in this season, I hear there's a foot or so of good snow on plenty of base up in the Beartooths. There have been a couple systems come through, and while I don't think any of them have made any major dumps, it's been on and off snow for at least a week up high. There's been some snow down here too, and it's raining, so hopefully that means more snow up there. Anyway, I know what Dan is talking about with the "hero" snow. The problem I find is if it's really crusty, my track is too soft to keep digging in. Last time I rode I went to climb a slope (it looked easy from a distance) and gave up after a couple tries. Between getting thrown around by set up drifts and the track constantly skipping and spinning, I was afraid I'd get bounced off and have to watch my sled take a death tumble. On softer, slushy snow though, I've climbed everything I had the courage to try. Nothing beats that perfect foot or two of fresh powder on a good base, but as long as it's snow!

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Snowed again here, but not enough to ride.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Bad news: the snow is receding rapidly. I had to drive a couple miles up from where I parked last time I rode (last year, even later in the year, I was able to park at the usual spot). Good news is we've had some snowfall, and with the warmer temperatures the base had some give to it, so you could tear around without being thrown every which way. The hill pictured was a pretty easy climb for me; I made a couple more heroic climbs too, would have been a different story with a couple feet of powder!

Attachments

21 - 31 of 31 Posts