Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Polaris Indy Trail and the handle bar doesn't move. I put rust remover on the joints by the skis and I can wiggle them. Has anyone else had this problem. The machine has 2014 tags and has not been used since. Probably stored outside.

·
Super Moderator
16,803 Posts
If you move the handlebars and there's no motion to the tie rods, the column itself is probably corroded. On some of the sleds, there were grease fittings on the bearing surfaces of the steering column, but those often got overlooked, as they are not easy to get to. I would start by spraying down those areas on the steering column with a good penetrating oil and see if some of it can soak in. You may have to remove parts to get to the steering column.

If the column appears free to move, the spindles could be the issue. Most of them had grease fittings, but some were pressed in fittings and may have fallen out. That's also another spot to spray some penetrating oil.

The steering linkage and heim joints don't usually freeze up, so I would look at the column and the spindles.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I started wrenching and the column is the problem. I think I can get it out without removing the engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts