Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1984 Tundra

I picked up a 3rd party stator (Kimpex I believe), that has different color coding on the wires than the original.

I've been looking for a wiring diagram that I can match up. I had it together and actually could get the machine running, but it would often fire backwards, yes, backwards. In my troubleshooting, some of the wires broke off and now I'm faced with trying to match them up.

From the stator there are 4 wires. Blue, Red, Black, and Grey.

The black comes from the larger of the two coils and out.
The Blue connects between the two coils and then out.

The Red and Grey come from the same location on the stator, on the smaller of the two coils. My guess is that one of those would be the trigger and the other would be the cut-off.

The CDI box has 3 wires. Black/White, Black/Red, and a Black.

I'm guessing that the two coils are charge and trigger. Trigger being the smaller of the two.

So off the stator my guess would be:

Red = Cut off (put to ground to shut off)
Grey = Trigger
Blue = common
Black = to Coil

There is another red wire that comes out of the stator/generator assembly that is a ground wire. Then two wires, a Yellow/Black, and a Yellow, that come off the Generator.

Does anyone know if my guesses are correct and I need to know what the three wires to the CDI are.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
follow up and maybe better clarity of what I am asking..

okay, this Stator (I purchased through dennis kirk) has these wires:

Red
Gray
Blue
Black

Red and Gray are connected to the smaller coil on one end.

The blue is connected to one end of each of the coils

The black is connected to the end of the larger coil.

My electronics background would tell me the Blue is the common. Black would be the Primary, and Gray would be the trigger.

Red, connected to the trigger, would be the cut-off (take it to ground and it shorts the trigger), CDI doesn't fire.

Smaller coil = less voltage/current.

The problem is that the CDI box (Kimpex 01-143-40) that I have has Black, black/red, and black/white.

The black on it is shorted to the black on the coil side (less than 1 ohm), so I would guess that is the ground.

That leaves the black/red and black/white.

If we follow color coding, black/red should connect to the (red or gray) trigger coil, which would leave black/white as the Primary.

So:

Red -> Kill switch
Gray -> black/red on CDI
Black -> black/white on CDI
Blue -> black on CDI

Or is the Gray and black reversed?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Unfortunately, when a manufacturer (Kimpex) wants to put their own freakin colors on a component, it make it impossible to give you the answer...

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If anyone has a skidoo stator that can be easily looked at, if I can get the pin out of the 3 prong connector that would be good.

Meaning, from the stator there should be 4 wires, one wire goes to the cut-off switch. The other 3 go to the connector.

Even a picture of a stator with the 3 prong connector attached would be good.

I'm fairly certain I know how this is suppose to be hooked up, but just want to be sure.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay, follow up. Figuring an old Tundra like this, I could experiment and figure it out.

My "guess" above was correct, except the cut off doesn't seem to do it's job. I just wired the kill switch to ground out the black (to CDI primary) wire to shut it off.

After the re-wire, I primed it once and pulled on it, it fired the FIRST compression. Runs better than ever. It Purrrrrs.

·
Registered Nut
33 Posts
If anyone has a skidoo stator that can be easily looked at, if I can get the pin out of the 3 prong connector that would be good.

Meaning, from the stator there should be 4 wires, one wire goes to the cut-off switch. The other 3 go to the connector.

Even a picture of a stator with the 3 prong connector attached would be good.

I'm fairly certain I know how this is suppose to be hooked up, but just want to be sure.
I did my stator wires last night. and will look at pic now.
Holding triangle 3 wire looking at wires into back of connector with locking clip at 6 oclock. black - red trace bottom right wire/ black - top 12 o'clock wire/ red bottom left wire. This is from a 2000 formula 600 stator not sure if this will help.

KG

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just for completeness, I wrote up a drawing and my notes on this.

For keywords: 1985 Tundra stator and CDI wiring.

Here is the LINK TO THE FILE.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts