Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Frazzell
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You seem to be the stator guru, was hoping you could help me out. I have a 91 ski doo formula plus that has a newer 580.6cc engine. The sled runs like a top but all my lighting is dim and accessories are ie; hand and thumb warmers are just that, warm not hot. I would like to test the stator but the wiring is different than that of a cat. It has 1 yellow wire, 1 yellow and black wire, 1 black and yellow wire, 1 red and 1 black. The 3 "yellow" wires go up to a harness and is disperesed from there. From the harness 3 wires go to spark, which i think is fine because it runs great. The red and black wire run together and go somewhere i cant see without dissasembling a bunch of stuff. I was wondering if you know how to test this machine. Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Usually when there is low output you start by checking the voltage coming out of the stator. You can check it by using a regular multimeter on the AC volt settings. The stator will put out 15-30 volts depending on rpms. Then you want to find the regulator and check the voltage after the regulator. The regulator should keep it about 14 volts. If you're getting good voltage out of the regulator then you have a shorting/grounding issue somewhere. If you're getting good voltage into the regulator but it is low coming out then it is the regulator. Sounds like you found your issue. Good work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts