Snowmobile Forum banner

Starting a 96' mmxz

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  cohocarl 
#1 ·
Me and my dad bought some sleds a couple years ago and we are new to the sport, neither of us have any knowledge of engines are haveing trouble starting my 96' ski doo mxz 583. It has a primer not a choke. Anyone have a ski doo similar to mine and would like to tell me how to start it properly with no hastle? It would be greatly appreciated.
We always get it going but we keep flooding it and it takes soooo long. Thank

#2 ·
Yeah, I just bought a '96 Formula SLS 500 this year, and i'm fairly new to the new sleds. When i bought it , the guy gave me tips in starting it. He said to pull it over once first, then give it 2 primes, and pull it again. Don't prime it much more than that. If it's warm, or in a warm location don't prime it very much, if at all. I've flooded mine once already and it was a bitch to get going. Kinda difficult with one arm pulling and the other holding the throttle.

#4 ·
For cold weather i generally use the same procedure: pull once over first, then prime it 3-4 times, and usually about 2 more pulls will start it. But as far as gas flowing from the primer, i think it should flow instantly. The only time i've ever noticed air in the lines is when i ran out of gas on my dad's Tundra once. I wish all sleds started as easy as that Tundra, usually first pull i can get it started, warm or cold.

#5 ·
3 squirts & 1 pull on my 96 Formula Z 583. (unless I forget to check if the kill switch was pushed down)
I need to pump it occasionally right after start-up to keep it running.
One good thing about having just a primer is you won't forget that you left the choke 1/2 way on a few miles down the trail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.